Thursday, June 07, 2007

If you give a pig a pancake...

It all started innocently enough. A few weeks ago, I made curtains for my daughter's room. The Boy then wondered when I'd make curtains for his. The other day, I found myself at the fabric store with The Boy and Toddler Girl.

Yes, I just 'found' myself there - I was really there to return some things we didn't need for his birthday party a month ago.

On a whim, we scoured the remnant racks. It's really hard finding 'boy' fabric. I finally found this, and managed to convince him he didn't need the black skulls with flame stuff:

I had enough I could make both a window dressing and a decorative pillow. The rod was $10 and the fabric was $9 (3 yards at $3 a yard).

While we were there, Toddler Girl started wondering about her curtains. Oy. We scoured a bit more, and found something that would work as well.

Here is the before:
Yes, it's a sheet. I know. But what you can't see is underneath the sheet (that somewhat matches the walls) there is another navy blue sheet folded in half and held in place with three nails just above the trim.
The after:
We already had the curtain rod, so just $12 in fabric (4 yards at $3 a yard).
Now, that brings me to the 'problem.' I now have a sheet, full size, that is sun bleached. What to do... I know! I went in my fancy pants craft room and dug through my scrap fabric. Found enough to make this:
I cut the fabric in strips, using the baseball theme whole. I cut the blue, green and red plaid in various sizes and put it together a strip at a time. Meaning, I didn't lay the whole thing out then start sewing, I started with a whole baseball strip and created one strip at a time, 'eyeballing' it as I went. I decided to use edging to make it a bit bigger. I'm guessing it's 6 ft by 4 ft or so.

Since only one section of the sheet is bleached out, I have plenty to back the quilt with. That's my next project. So that puts the cost for this project at a big, fat zero. I already have the batting, but am struggling with what color to put it together with - either cream or blue. Can't decide.

Now, what to do with the purple sheet...

6 comments:

Mom O Matic said...

Ok, I'm kicking myself that I haven't gotten my act together on the curtain thing. Maybe after my kitchen is done I can bribe you...

Builder Mama said...

Holy crap Martha, will you knock it off already? Either that, or come here and finish my damn monkey curtains I've had in the works for, oh, six years? Bleh.

TxGambit said...

Holy wow! You got skills. Very, very nice.

Unknown said...

Watch out Martha Stewart.

Mayberrys said...

Yeah, what Builder said.
Oh wait....you already did that for me!!
:)

Tree said...

G, you never fail to impress. My jaw dropped at the 2nd curtain (love love the fabric) and then is lodged open at the great quilt.

It's like magic. You *are* wonder woman, aren't you?