Monday, April 16, 2007

More reunion blather

There was more email over the weekend regarding the reunion. I don't know why I'm so preoccupied with it. Really.

Thing is, I went to a small school. I know there were smaller, but not by much. I had 42 in my graduating class, and that's counting 2 foriegn exchange students. So we didn't just know people in passing, we knew everybody. It's not that there wasn't a caste system, there was, but by 9 am Monday morning I could tell you who did what where with whom (and at the latest, after lunch).

Of the people I went to school with, I could two of them as really good friends, still. One of them I called on the way home from my visit with my sister. We talked for 45 minutes. Well, I talked and she listened to me babble about all that was going on and how scared I was. I would have called the other one, but I didn't have her number in my phone (I do now). We see each other occasionally, more often we communicate via email or phone, but we still make the effort.

Now I'm seeing names and emails and putting them in the context of who that person was 15 years ago. It will be interesting to see how we've all changed, and how quickly we fall back into the roll we had in high school.

In the meantime, the threat of seeing them has kept my diet on the mostly straight and narrow. I passed up a cheeseburger for lunch in favor of a turkey sandwich on a fiberriffic tortilla.

2 comments:

11111111 said...

A high school reunion sounds intimidating to me. I think I might go if it ever comes up, 2008 will be my 20th.
I still have a few friends from high school including a six-foot tall, blonde girl. I was her prom date, all five-foot nine of me.

Unknown said...

2008 is my 20th as well - ack! I have not been to any f them thus far, but I went to a large school. I can't imagine a class of 42, G. And how cool that you are still so close with many of them.