Monday, July 17, 2006

Weekend update

We had a good weekend. I backed out of the 5k - and I'm glad I did. Friday we sat out with the neighbors after the kids went to bed. Whomever came up with the baby monitor, bless you. Saturday morning woke up feeling not too bad. Fed the kids, and then took them outside.

Around here it's "hot" - just above 90. Laugh if you will, but this summer I'll be talking about cold and mean it. I know all about hot - growing up in Iowa - walking beans, detassling corn, outside all day in withering 100+ humid days - all that good stuff. That's a story for another time. Got the car vacuumed out from the trip to the "beach" - itty bitty lake beach. Yes, I've been to the real beach. This one was ok too - lots of sand for the kids to play in and no undertow or sharks. I even kept my scab out of the water.

Toddler girl decided she needed a nap at 10:45 am. Odd. Very odd. But I put her down and make lunch for the others. Took off for a haircut - my first since November. Feels and looks much much better. Got home just in time to head out with the family to see Cars. Cute, kids liked, will most likely buy it. Got home and one of Big Girl's little friends came over. They're together a lot. She's a good kid and lives one house over. Has a 2 year old sister and 9 year old brother. Turned on the sprinkler and the kids played and played and played. I caught a view of my daughter. It made the hair on the back of my neck stand up. I saw her. I saw her future - what she'll look like, who she'll be. It was strange, scary and wonderful all at the same time. I saw her not as a little girl, but a young woman - strong, confident, beautiful. I tried to get a picture, but dark was closing in and none of them turned out very good.

Big Girl asked if her friend could spend the night. After an It's OK With Me from me and a I Don't See Why Not from her dad... They were off. Took showers, got jammies on. Had her first full blown sleep over. She was so excited. They didn't wake up until 8:30, and only then did I hear little chirps from the kitchen. Dragged my sorry butt out of bed and made pancakes and sausage for breakfast. Even got the whipped cream and sprinkles out. Do you know what sprinkles sound like hitting the hardwood floor when dumped by a two year old? I do. Kids went to play and I got the floor cleaned up.

Friend went home around 11, ran a couple errands as a family, tried a new Mexican place for lunch, nap. Went for my monthly pedicure and took Big Girl for a nail painting treat. For the princely sum of $5, they take off the old polish, file, and paint (with cute little flowers even) little girl's nails. She loved it - not just the nail painting, but the time with mom. I could tell, because she held my hand - alot. She's growing bigger every day. Every day.

1 comment:

Dan said...

Wow... you kinda just pack everything into the space of a day or two! Probably safer you cancelled the run - there will be others :)

And hey, this is a British guy sympathising with you about hot weather! We're baking over here, temperatures due to hit 100 degress today!