Tuesday, July 18, 2006

My mom is coming! My mom is coming!

Shout if from the rooftops! My mom is coming!

Hmmmm. Think I'm excited?

My husband's gone M-F this week. He was gone M-Th last week as well. We did head off to my parents for a few days last week. With high gas prices, I didn't really want use another tank of gas to get there and back. So I used the "Husband will be gone all week. Anytime, the invitation's open for a visit." Mom got, and she always does, the hint. They were going to come yesterday, but apparently they had some plumbing issues that had to be taken care of. Dad has a doctor appointment Wednesday, company Thursday night and other company Friday. As much as I love it when they drop everything for me, I'm glad they have their own lives too.

Mom decided to leave Dad at home, and will be here for lunch - "maybe earlier." I'm guessing she's here by 10:30. YEA!

On another note...
Yesterday I made four different batches of homemade ice cream. I froze three of them, as one needed to sit overnight and 'mellow'. I'll freeze the other one today. Had a 'little' ice cream party with the neighbors that ended sitting by the fire pit until 12:30 this morning. Fun times. Fun times.

Butter Pecan Ice Cream
Ingredients:
1/2 cup chopped pecans
1 tablespoon butter
1 cup brown sugar
2 eggs, beaten
1 1/2 cups half-and-half cream
1/2 cup heavy cream
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Directions:
In a small skillet over medium heat, saute pecans in butter until lightly browned, stirring frequently. Set aside.

In a medium saucepan over low heat, stir together brown sugar, eggs and half and half until smooth. Bring to a simmer, stirring occasionally, and cook 2 minutes more. Remove from heat and stir in cream, vanilla and pecans.

Pour into ice cream maker and freeze according to manufacturers' directions.

2 comments:

Joe said...

Homemade ice cream!?!?!?

Damn!

I see you linked me!

Thanks.. I will get you up on the dude abides.

Dan said...

You know, I've never made Ice Cream... Hmmm... Summer Holidays starts Friday, which means we've now got to find things to do.

And hey, everyone loves ice cream! hehe