Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Summer Living

I'm as tan, blonde, and thin as I've ever been. Not trying to gloat, but...

For me losing weight, though not easy, isn't the hard part. Maintaining it is. I promised myself once I got back to 175, I'd keep myself in the 170's. Right now I'm 184.

What does that mean?

It means I need to get back to the 80/20 principle. Do good 80% of the time, and the other 20% will work itself out. I found that for the first couple weeks I could do well Monday through Friday and then have a little slack Saturday and Sunday. (Or use Sunday as my "reboot" day - with Friday and Saturday as my slack days.)

For the last several weeks, I found that I can barely eke out one good day, let alone five. It's not that I can't, I just choose not to. And by choose, I mean I grab a bag of chips versus nuts/cheese/veggies. Pizza instead of a salad with a little pepperoni and mozzarella cheese. Crispy tacos instead of a taco salad (no shell). Two bowls of cereal instead of two eggs.

I'm owning these choices.

But it has. to. stop.

Now.

As of today, I've had three good days. With the stress of the dentist/oral surgeon Monday, freakishly following my oldest on Tuesday, and now today - I've strung together three good days.

Three.

I promised myself once the kids are back in school I'd kick the workout routine in gear. I found that once I dropped the weight, 6 - 8 miles wasn't a problem. I'd like to get back there again.

For now, I'm following my friend Tree's lead... And taking it one more. Let's call it the 3 x 100 Challenge - three exercises, adding one more each day, until I reach 100. Today: one push up, one sit up, and one burpee. Tomorrow - two of each. And so on. See you on Oct 21st...
Now. To find a race to train for...

Lest we forget - Before:
Let's not go back there again.

6 comments:

Tanaya said...

You look super! I can so relate to the maintenance issue. It is so hard and I know what I am talking about - two days back on the wagon. Good luck with the exercising - burpess kick my a$$ like nothing else.

Joe said...

Very nice! You look great! Keep up the good work.

Kudos.

Anonymous said...

Hmmmm . . .come October there's a nice half marathon in Des Moines . . . & my BIRTHDAY!

-Your Sis

http://www.desmoinesmarathon.com/site51.aspx

MPPs Mom said...

Awesome Awesome Awesome.
I am so happy, proud of and impressed by you. You are a motivation to us all. That one a day challenge to 100 is one I think I might try too!

HUGS :)

Tree said...

Look at those legs!! WOOT!

You are amazing. I was just telling a coworker about the KC half and the Route 66 full potential.

The 3x100 challenge is awesome. Seriously, the burpees will kick your tail!

Calico Road said...

Gretchen, you are so my people. I too, have been fighting the weight issue, with a few downs (on the scale) and many ups. It seems every time I mention going on a diet, I immediately gain another 10 lbs! You look incredible! Thanks for keeping it real for me. And for owning it. :)