Saturday, July 24, 2010

Another Hot Saturday Night

It's 10:20 and I'm in bed. Catching up on my computer time, I'm listening to David Gray on Live from the Artist's Den on PBS.

Yes. Public Television.

I may have mentioned a time or two that we don't have cable, direct tv, dish, DVR, or any channels that can't be picked up on an HD Antenna.

Yes. Antenna.

This afternoon I tidied the bedroom to Antiques Roadshow. Later, I folded laundry to The Lawrence Welk Show. That took me back to sitting on my Great Grandmother's floor, eating an ice cream sandwich and drinking a strawberry or grape pop. Or sometimes, if the fates were with us - a Dr Pepper.

When we were younger, we'd go play in the basement, careful of her wintered plants, crank up the gramophone, and jump on the spare bed. As we grew, we'd greet her with a hug and a kiss, inspect her insignificant flaws in her thread crochet, and then ask if we could change the channel. Mom would sometimes object, but Gram over-rode those objections and we'd find ourselves watching MTV - something it seemed that everyone but us had. Yes, country living even then.

There were three things I could always count on when we visited Gram: syrupy sweet pop, ice cream sandwiches, and Lawrence Welk.

...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Gram always wanted you to feel welcome! So glad you shared the time with her. Remember the M & M candy container? G'ma

Tanaya said...

I'm glad I'm not the only thirty something who gets nostalgic about Lawrence Welk. I fondly remember watching with my grandparents and will stop and watch when I see that it is on PBS.