Thursday, August 02, 2007

At a loss...

We're all ok. The phone rang several times yesterday with people checking in. My husband was in Seattle at the time. Of the 140,000 cars that crossed that bridge every day, his was generally not one of them. But still...

The stories of heroism are starting to unfold...
Stories of people getting out of their cars to help others before the rescue crews could even arrive.
Of getting 60 children off a school bus, that happened to land on all four wheels. Shaken, very shaken, but none seriously injured.
Of divers going down, again and again, and again in the Missississppi River until it became to dark and unsafe.
For now, though, I don't 'know' anyone. Yet. I'm waiting for the "Six Degrees of Kevin Bacon" effect.
Last night, while watching either CNN or FoxNews (I was flipping around alot), the national news person asked about how this would affect travel the next day. The regional broadcaster put him in his place stating, "That's the last thing we're worried about here." Period. Callous broadcasting at it's best.
I'll stick to the stories of heroism...

Pictures from www.wcco.com.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

it's just terrible Gretchen, I'm so sorry....

Anonymous said...

Gretchen,

I am so glad you and your family are safe. This just so horrible. Hugs.

Karen said...

I'm glad you're all safe too. It's such a horrific thing to happen.

Mitzi Green said...

we're just waiting for this to happen in kc, considering we have several major bridges that by rights shouldn't still be standing.

Mom O Matic said...

So glad you and your family ok. Puts the tummy flu into perspective I expect.