Tuesday, July 17, 2007

And then there were three.

Take a walk with me, won't you?

While we were growing up, Husband and I discussed several things of importance to us. We'd get married after we graduated college. We'd buy a house before we had kids. We'd have two kids and I wanted to have them by the time I was thirty years old

All but one of those happened.

Our first child - we took the goalie off the ice in April 1999 and wanted to see what happened. I shouldn't say it that way - we knew what would happen, we just didn't know how long it would take. Imagine my surprise when we have a baby January 1st, 2000.

When our oldest was 20 months, we started talking about #2. I wanted them fairly close in age, and after all I wasn't getting any younger. I can remember the distinct conversation in the car. We were driving to my parent's house and I casually mentioned (as casually as you can mention having a baby) that if we got pregnant now, the baby would be born in May. May 12th to be exact. Yes, we're that good

By this time, we're content. The house, the cars, the kids, all we were missing was a white picket fence and a dog.

Then it happened. The girl was 3 and Boy was 16 months old. We were getting ready for the Halloween party at the neighbor's. I pulled the pregnancy test out of the grocery sack and held it up. Showed it to Husband, and he said, "What's that for?"

What, exactly, do you think?

Halloween 2003, two blue lines.

I'm 29 years old.

Color me surprised, but it certainly explained a few things: the general ache, the topsy-turvy tummy, the narcolepsy.

The next several months went by in a blur.

How are we going to do this? This is going to cost... money... diapers... clothes... college...

How am I going to do this? I don't make enough money to put three in daycare. How, oh how, will I stay home with three kids?



Before we knew it...



It was time to go.

Go time.

Got there just in time too. We arrived at the hospital at 7:30 and she was born at 8:20. Not a doctor in sight. Just two nurses, my husband, and me. I cut the cord. That is truly a sight I will never forget. There was no sheet, no stirrups, just me squating in the bed while they're telling me not to push. I saw her head come out, and the rest just followed.


Yes, it's hard.

Yes, it's messy.

Yes, there are still days when I think, "What have I gotten myself into?"

Yes, it might not be what I planned, but it's what I have.

Submit to it.


The rest just follows.


Make the most of it.

Julie... It will be alright. Promise.

9 comments:

Tree said...

I enjoyed that walk! Thank you.

MPPs Mom said...

ditto tree.

Julie Marsh said...

Thank you. For your honesty and your encouragement. And the great example you've set.

Jen said...

very nice...

Unknown said...

I knew you would have some great words of encouragement.

Rachelle Jones said...

It is always worth it at the end of the day, when you peek in (if and when) they are sleeping.

Beautiful children!!

And Motherhood is not for wussies

Mitzi Green said...

then consider me a wussy, because i don't want to take that walk. uh-uh. no way. because...well, the reasons are endless. but then baby k smiles at me and i think, "but what if" and then i beat my head against the nearest wall until it goes away...

Anonymous said...

Awesome!
We have three too.
1 boy 2 girls.
I always imagined two, too.
But I love having 3. Its a good number...and yes there are days--did I really sign up for this :)
but in the end I would do it again. Love hearing your stories, projects, etc. I can so relate.

Anonymous said...

Beautiful kids and story! Thank you for the supportive comment you left on my post. I appreciate it.