Monday, June 18, 2007

Two of my labors were shorter...

Than the time it took me to run the marathon.

To be honest, it was the hardest thing I've ever done.

The day started out 'nice' if you think 80 and humid is nice. Start time was 6 am. They gave the option of starting at 5:30 if you were walking or thought you'd go ove 6 1/2 hours. They 'officially' timed for 7 hours (most races is 6, but that's what small towns are all about).

I wore my obnoxious yellow shirt from the Dam to Dam race two weeks earlier. At the start, I met up with another gal with the same shirt - and the same goal - just to finish. We finished within 2 minutes of each other at Dam to Dam and immediately 'clicked.'

The race started on time, and off we went. It didn't take long for the field of 130 runners to thin out. Kim (the other gal) and I joked about duking it out not to be last - how true! Before long, it was the two of us clicking of 11:30 minute miles.

The first two miles are always 'hard' for me - that's about how long it takes me to get loosened up. Anyway, mile 2.5 was the first aid station. Took a cup of water and walked to the trash, threw the cup away and went off again.

The aid station were 2.5 miles apart for the first 10 miles - everything was going 'great.' We hit the 1/2 way mark (or 13.1 miles) in 2 hours 30 minutes. Great! We can get this done in 5 hours or so! Whoo hoo!

By the next aid station, I could not catch my breath. At all. I finally decided to walk for awhile and my dad joined me. Kim went on with a 'meet you at the finish.' My Dad had brought his running stuff, and was there to run with me if I needed it.

I slowly jogged to the next aid station (mile 15). I stood on the mile marker, put my head between my legs, and truly, honestly debated on quitting.

By this time, it was in the mid 90's. I spend the next 8 miles walking and jogging (if you could even call it that by that point) just wanting to sit down.

Twice I put my head between my legs trying to catch my breath and stood up seeing stars. I didn't tell my parents, as they'd have pulled me off the course.

My dad went with me and cheered me on.

There is no adequate way to express the help my parents were during the race. If my dad hadn't been there with me (and my mom following in the car) I would have quit. Twice. Ok, maybe three times.

And yes, it got hot, very hot. Mid 90's, humid, no breeze, no shade, just rows of corn and beans.

The final two miles were pure torture. By that time, the race official had stopped to check on me twice, asking if I was OK.

He said they'd stick around and wait for me at the finish.

I jogged the final mile past my aunt and uncle's house to rousing cheers from my aunt, uncle, their three kids and families, and my family as well.

Dad hopped back into the car with my mom to meet me at the finish.

I shuffled into town, and knew the finish line was not far off.

Right hand turn, left to main and I saw the finish line.

I hit the finish line and a little old lady met me, put a finisher's medal around my neck and said, "Welcome to Marathon."

I immediately burst into tears. I stumbled over to the gra$$, got on my hands and knees, and cried. (I'm crying now just typing about it.)

My family and extended family gathered around me and congratulated me.

I barely heard it.

They didn't care it took me 6 hours and 36 minutes.

They didn't care I was last.

Yes Last.

Someone has to be first, and someone has to be last.

So what.

I f'ing did it.

And I'll do it again.


Tree, I won't be ready for another marathon this year. But you name it -Denver, Des Moines, Twin Cities, or Kansas City (all in October) and I'll be ready to do the half...

17 comments:

Unknown said...

1. I am crying too. Literally.

2. I am SO INCREDIBLY PROUD OF YOU.

3. I vote for Denver.

4. Have I mentioned I have a guest room in the basement?

Tree said...

I am crying for you, too, G. I know how hard it is to do this - not just physically, but mentally. OMGoodness the conditions were awful!!!

GREAT GREAT JOB!!!!!!!!!!!

Denver would be really pretty. Actually, anywere that time of year will be pretty!

Sandra said...

Way to go Gretchen... You rock! I can only imagine how much determination it took to get to the finish line. Congratulations.

Anonymous said...

Way to go girl.
Just running that marathon at all.
I only wish. Kudos to you. :)

Tanaya said...

You brought tears to my eyes too. Perseverance is a much better reward than being first or any other place.

Mitzi Green said...

you. are. nuts.

and an inspiration. truly.

if you and tree run kc, i sure as shit won't be joining you, but i'll happily cheer you on (from my car) all the way!

Joe said...

Congratulations. Good for you.

I've never even attempted to run a marathon. Shoot, the longest hike I've done was only twenty miles.

You should be proud of yourself.

Builder Mama said...

Holy crap. I was just reading this to Maven and GMan (who are in my living room) and we were all just cringing for you. Could the conditions have been any worse for a race?

I am so proud of you. And you will kick total ass next time. Congrats on a major achievement!

Rachelle Jones said...

Before ANYTHING ELSE I HAVE TO SAY YEEEE FREAKING HOOOOO!! You did it, you achieved a GOAL, a HARD one at that, all while being the Martha Stewart of the blogosphere, and raising "babies"....

You made me cry too.






Denver would be hard because of the altitude...

I hiked the Continental Divide and about died...

Anonymous said...

Got here from AWTM, and wow! Your post had me in tears - used to be a distance runner (no marathons), and I take my hat off to you. How awesome! Now off to poke around the blog.
Congratulations!

Unknown said...

Continental Divide is around 11,000-13,000 feet while Denver is 5,280... but she does have a point that we still are a mile high! :)

BUT STILL LOBBYING FOR DENVER! I will bring an oxygen tank along the race of you want! :)))

Anonymous said...

Congratulations. Had I been there, you wouldn't have been last.

Leighann of Multi-Minding Mom said...

Fantastic! Great job! I was in tears too! So proud of you!

I remember my first 10K. I was about 13 and stupid. Stupid meaning I thought I could run a 10K without having trained for it. I was going to be on the cross country team as a freshman that fall and had been running, but with no coach or game plan.

I started out a little too fast and had to start walking with about a mile or two to go. A really old man caught up with me and told me we could do it. And he encouraged me to run with him the rest of the race. We finished near the end of the pack, maybe last, I can't remember. But that old man was such an inspiration and cheerleader for me.

I never became a great runner. Never won a long distance race. Finding out I had asthma years later made sense and I regret that I could have been so much better had I known and had treatment and an inhaler.

I will say that I lettered in both cross country and track freshman year. Had a school record in a distance relay. And really enjoyed running and the friends I made.

Had it not been for that stranger cheering me on, I probably would have quit and maybe not even joined the high school team.

And it's in that "stranger" spirit that I cheer you on and congratulate you on a job well done. The time it took and the position you finished don't matter one bit. You have had such a grand journey getting there and you should truly be proud of what you have accomplished!

Jen said...

YEAAAAAAAAAA - you did it!!!!!!!!

You rock girly...

Mom O Matic said...

You are amazing! I couldn't have done it!

MamaMaven said...

You seriously rock. I can't imagine doing much of anything for over 6 hours, let alone run. I am so happy for you, it must be an incredible sense of accomplishment!

g-man said...

You did it, period. Great job. Congratulations.