Friday, June 22, 2007

Interesting, very interesting...

Yesterday, my husband and I did the switch.

You know what I'm talking about - "Why don't you stay home for the day and I'll go to work?"

It was much nicer than that. Really.

Awhile back I posted a review on the Saturn Vue. Apparently the nice folks at GM liked what I had to say and how I said it. I was contacted by them to fly out to their headquarters in Detroit for a panel discussion regarding social media and 'reaching out to bloggers.'

Me? They want me?

The gal setting it up said that they could make it an out-and-back, but as a mother herself if I wanted to spend the night they could arrange that as well. I decided that an out-and-back would be fine.

There was major brain power there as well. Neville Hobson, Sam Abuelsamid (he also writes for autobloggreen.com) and Alma Dayawon from Randy's Journal (aka - Boeing). So that puts and internationally recognized expert, leading automotive industry blogger, and a large corporate blog on the panel.

And me. The "well-read 'mommy blogger.'"

I know in business, especially larger ones, it can be difficult to embrace new ideas and technologies. This panel was set up to open up some of the employees to the idea of using blogs, and bloggers, as they become increasingly influential in today's marketplace.

I'd like to think that I got my point across. For me, the blog is not only a creative outlet, but one more way to get information. There are people writing that I trust, and if they suggest a new product I'll be more likely to take a look at. That women today don't have time to have a cup of coffee while discussing things over a table of Tupperware. That blogs are one more method of 'word of mouth' advertising.

Besides the slight snafu on travel times, it was a very enjoyable and enlightening experience.

Next time... I'll stay the night.

10 comments:

Julie Marsh said...

I have no doubt that you got your point across!

Yay for you, Gretchen - you're a fantastic representative of the mommyblogging community.

Anonymous said...

Let me assure you, Gretchen -- and everyone else in this community -- that you definitely got your point across. We are very grateful to you for sharing your perspective ... and I can tell you just from the reaction I've heard from my colleagues who were there, we all learned something (quite a bit, actually) from you and your fellow panelists.

So thanks again -- and great job!

Christopher Barger
Director, GM Communications

Tanaya said...

Awesome! Not only that you were invited to go, but the comment above. Way to go!!!

Adam Denison said...

I echo Christopher's comment above. It was great to have you there yesterday. Sorry again for the crazy problems with your flights.

I was standing in the back helping pass the microphones around, so I had a nice view of the crowd. It was interesting to watch how many people took notes from the comments you made. One comment you made really stood out to me: "Every consumer wants to be engaged." I think that hit home with a number of people in the audience.

Thanks again for coming!

Adam Denison
Social Media Communications
General Motors, Corp.

Leighann of Multi-Minding Mom said...

Great job! I love it when companies *actually* want to hear what consumers have to say. And your review made me want to test drive one next time we are in the market.

Next time stay the night and have uninterrupted sleep and a spa treatment!

MPPs Mom said...

Grethen, what a great opportunity. ITA with mothergoosemouse, you are a great rep for 'all of us'.
christina

joansy said...

Very cool! And a belated congrats on the run too.
Yippee!

Anonymous said...

Good you meet you on the panel, Gretchen.

Terrific event, well put together by GM. And yes, I think you got your points across extremely well!

g-man said...

Go Gretchen. That sounded pretty cool. Way to represent!

Unknown said...

Thanks Gretchen, for speaking for the peeps!