Thursday, September 21, 2006

Rings are back on.

What is it about the simplicity of a gold band worn on the left hand?

I've worn mine everyday. There's perhaps a handfull of times I've taken it off. It never stays off for long.

Husband and I have our ten year anniversary coming up.

Our rings are the same width. Bought a week before our wedding at the local JCPenney's. I even used a coupon. I think the cost for both of them combined was under $75.

In the weeks leading up to our wedding, I visualized going to the jewelry store and each picking something out. As weddings go, things got pretty hectic. Finally, ten days before our wedding, I asked him if he wanted to go and pick out rings that weekend.

He said it didn't matter what the ring looked like to him.

He said the important thing was that he was marrying me.

That Saturday, I ran over to the mall armed with his credit card and the words I'll remember forever, "Just get what you like." Picked out two rings. Got my size. Guessed on his. Saw him that Tuesday, made him try it on. Too small.

Returned it Wednesday, hoped the next size I picked would fit. We were getting married on Saturday.

That Saturday night, around 7:20, when we exchanged the words, "With this ring, I thee wed. Wear it as a symbol of our love and commitment." The rings slid right on.

Over the years, I've often wondered why I didn't pick something more. Bigger.

I know the reason. At the time, money was at a premium (it still is, but for different reasons). My husband-to-be was proud of the fact that my engagement ring was bought with cash, and not on a five year payment plan.

Frugality won over.

In the end, it really doesn't matter the rings we wear, if we wear them at all.

I'm married in my heart.

3 comments:

MPPs Mom said...

we have the same rings you do, but I have fantasized about something different this year (our 10th too). haven't gotten a new one yet, but I keep thinking about it!

Builder Mama said...

We bought similar ones too - actually, bought them at a Service Merchandise when it was going out of business. I got the cheapo one - $19.00, and Joey got the "expensive" one at $120.00. His is the comfort-band style, I guess that's why it was more? Anyhow, mine's been replaced but his is the same.

Jen said...

smae here - my engagement ring is actually a blue topaz...the huge ass thing I now wear on my left hand was a "hand me down" gift to DH from my grandmother before we were married...