Friday, September 22, 2006

First you make a roux

The weather here has been pretty crappy for the last three days. Cold, wet, and gray.

My best cure for that is cooking.

Yesterday, I made a kick-ass macaroni and cheese.

1 1/2 cups macaroni
3 tablespoons butter (don't question this, don't substitute it)
1/4 cup finely chopped onion.
2 tablespoons flour
Tony Chachere seasoning (or salt and a little chili powder)
Pepper
2 cups whole milk (don't question this, don't substitute it)
12 oz American Cheese (Velveeta works)
1/4 sleeve Club crackers - finely crushed

Cook macaroni according to package directions. Drain noodles, keep hot if necessary. While the noodles are cooking, place butter in a medium skillet and soften onion over medium heat. Add flour, stir and cook until lightly browned (that's the roux). Season with Tony Chachere seasoning (1/2 tsp to 1 tsp) and a little pepper (1/4 tsp to 1/2 tsp). Add milk, stir and heat until hot and bubbly. Cook another minute or two. Turn off heat, add in cheese and stir until melted. Mix macaroni and cheese sauce, top with crushed crackers, maybe even a little paprika. Bake in a 350 oven until hot and bubbly, 15 to 20 minutes.

It was good warmed up for breakfast this morning.

Oh, how I love eating. That's one of the reasons I keep fighting my weight. I love every aspect of cooking. The planning, shopping, preparing, plating, the serving. I love the taste and texture of food. From the icy chill of homemade ice cream to the perfect pot of chili bubbling on the stove. From the patience of homemade bread to the quick and easy muffins.

It's all good.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

that looks yummmmmmmy

Anonymous said...

See? This is why I'm fat. Cooking is evil!

Mitzi Green said...

oh, how i, too, love eating. unlike you, i hate cooking. this is how i managed to stay skinny when i was single (lean cuisine = no cooking and no dishes). but i'm now married to a man who loves to cook. and is damn good at it. and is making me fat. i bet he'd be all over your mac'n'cheese recipe, but as a child of the 70s with a mother who also couldn't cook, i have banned all casseroles from this domicile.

Rachelle Jones said...

I too am a cooker. Love this mac, and cheese recipe and must try it.

Oh, and thanks for the bread pudding reminder, it is fall right?

I have been on some strage pie kick this week. My MIL here, and she LOVES pie, so I have made 3.

Now, she is a tiny woman, and will fit in my pocket, but can REALLY put away the pie..

no fair

Tree said...

Thanks for the homemade mac'n'cheese recipe!! Love it.

It does sound good for breakfast.

Builder Mama said...

That does sound good! And I always find I'm cooking more when the weather's not so good...it's almost chili season, right?