Tuesday, September 19, 2006

It's all about the cookies.

Last night, I attended a introductory Girl Scout meeting. I walked out a Brownie Troop Leader. How does that happen?

My girl is so excited. Very excited. So are the other little girls. The first grade mommies (and one daddy) gathered together. There were six of us. No one spoke up initially, then I heard my own voice saying that I could do it. The other parents were quick to offer to "help" - I'll be sure and hold them to it.

In a way, I'm looking forward to this. Sure, I'm looking at between four and six hours of instruction and who knows how many hours of prep work, but the look on my daughter's face was priceless.

I've got my 1 1/2" binder and two books. Training on the 30th. And again in early October. I've been reading most everything I can, already brainstorming ideas. One of my neighbors down the street is a troop leader too - same age girls - and she said she'd help me any way possible.

One idea a seasoned leader gave me last night... For the first meeting - have it family style. Sit down and plan out several sessions, having each parent sign up to help in their area of expertise. I was thinking desert one night to kick things off. I want the girls to have fun and learn something.

Maybe we'll even go camping.

7 comments:

Builder Mama said...

Good for you, G! I bet you will be a fabulous leader and the girls will learn a lot and have fun too.

My own Brownie experience was awful - the two leaders were stressed-out single moms who did the best they could but it left me with a bad taste for the whole thing. So can I live vicariously through you and Big Girl???

Anonymous said...

A brownie troop leader! I would totally fall into a drooling mess at that level of responsibility. All those sweet little eyes looking up at you for inspiration?

*shudder*

Unknown said...

Are you out of your mind??? :)

MPPs Mom said...

My mom was my girl scout leader. I loved scouts as a kid. It became a whole family event. All three kids and my dad always went on all the camping trips. You guys are gonna have a blast!

Joe said...

You know what?

That is awesome.

This post brought a big smile to my face.

Good for you; good for your daughter.

I remember being a Cub Scout and a Boy Scout, and thinking that jack-knives, knots, tents and campfires were just about the coolest things in the world.

Gretchen said...

Thanks for all the feedback.

I have to admit, I'm pretty excited about it.

Tree said...

I am psyched for you, G! One of my neighbors is the leader of her troup and I see them meeting for campouts every few months. I want to tag along because it sounds like so much fun! Look forward to hearing more.