Thursday, August 31, 2006

While the cat's away...

My husband left on a business trip Tuesday morning and will be arriving home at 6 am tomorrow.

Needless to say, I have a lot to get done before he gets home.

Now, before you get all belligerant on me - You don't have to clean for him! - know that our house can go from suburban paradise to fraternity house in two days. He's been gone three.

So far today I've canned 6 quarts of pickles and 2 quarts of sweet banana peppers. I diced and froze 4 bell peppers, and blanched and cut off the cob 12 ears of corn. Growing up, we'd freeze corn by the gross, so to only do a dozen is kind of fun.

I've done four loads of laundry, and emptied the dishwasher once and have already run it again.

For the next hour I'm going by the rule of ten - for ten minutes each I will - put away stuff, vacuum, mop, windex, and hit the bathrooms (2). It takes about an hour, and the house looks significantly better when I'm done.

Better go, and clean while the Toddler naps.

3 comments:

Rachelle Jones said...

Ok lady, you gave me the fever. I bought 26 pounds of tomatoes from the little man down the road..

blanched, diced froze

also managed to do some peaches.

I bought a bunch of cucumbers, and am deciding what to do with them....

So thank you for the fever, I had a rough week.

It was great to "do something" loving for my family....

btw, I also do the cleaning thing...while kids are bathing or showering, I scrub toilets and sink...

Clean as you go...

Tree said...

LOVE the rule of 10! Will put that into action.

Gretchen said...

army wife - glad it worked for you! I love cooking as stress release.

tree - it's amazing what you can get done in ten minutes.