Wednesday, August 30, 2006

This bugs the shit out of me.

An "overzealous" CBS employee decided to airbrush 20 pounds off of Katie Couric for a promotional magazine photo.

Nice.

At what point will women be allowed to look like women? She's in her late 40's - she's not supposed to look like she's 18. Sure, I can see altering the coloring a little on the first picture - it is a little orange, but to go so far that she barely looks like the same person? Are we so shallow as a society... wait, don't answer that. Or is this a stunt to generate publicity?

The thing is, these photos weren't widely distributed, but how can they think, in this day in age, someone wouldn't figure it out?

There's a lot more out there on this, plenty of articles that are much more articulate than mine. I'll leave it that it earns a big Boo Hiss from me.

4 comments:

Tree said...

BOO
HISS

I completely agree! I had not yet heard of this happening. It's terrible.

Tanaya said...

It's just obnoxious...Yes, we like you enough to pay you several million dollars to give a newscast, but not enough that we won't try to shave a few pounds off of you.

Rachelle Jones said...

Not a Katie Fan...

which was not the point of your commentary I realize, but I had to say it.

I am 36 mother of 2, and well I can honestly say my once beautiful figure has been replaced....by a curvier one, despite all of my efforts.

The media does put a lot of pressure on women, and I wish we could stop perpetuating it....

Rachelle Jones said...

OH, and darlin, I am off to see a guy about some tomatoes and some peaches!!