Tuesday, May 23, 2006

Better days are ahead.

Ever have one of those moments that changes how you look at life?

Really changes?

Sunday morning my mom and I were at WalMart, picking up a few things. We ran into one of my high school chums. I went to a rather small school - there were 40 in my graduating class. She asked if I had talked Sara* lately. No, but we'd emailed not too long back.

Her 33 year old husband was diagnosed with Parkinson's Disease.

I've tried to call a couple times, and will try again - if only to let her know I'm thinking about her and her family.

For now, my "woe is me" project is the yard. We came home Sunday afternoon to 4 yards of dirt in our driveway. I moved about 1/4 of it Monday afternoon to around the foundation, then mowed. I also dug out 5 huge hostas, and plan to replant them today. This morning I picked up some edging - another project for this afternoon. Before and after pictures to follow. Didn't get a picture of the dirt - but it was about four feet tall and six by 4 feet wide.

Something about exhausing my body helps me sleep at night - Monday it was an hour long kick-ass workout at the gym; 2 1/2 hours of hauling dirt - shovel, wheelbarrow, dump, repeat; and then mowing with the push mower - that does my body good. That and I ended up in the neighbor's hot tub again last night.

Can't wait to see what I can get done today. After all, I'm not looking at a life of tremors, slowness of movement, rigidity, and difficulty with balance...



*Names have been changed to protect the innocent

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey there you are! I lost you on my blogroll a while back. Good to see you! Hear you? Read you?

Builder Mama said...

Glad to hear you're feeling better. It's unfortunate that sometimes it's hearing things like this that put things in perspective.

I'll be thinking about your friend. My dad has had mild Parkinson's for years so I know what it's like.

Hugs,
Liz