Thursday, February 09, 2006

The Old.

So as I've been working on this family cookbook, I've come to a realization.

The old were young once.

You know that old lady, schlepping it to the senion center for lunch? She was once the one making lunch for her kids. That old guy sitting at the restaurant nursing a cup of coffee? He had a job once too, and a family.

Looking back at family pictures got my brain spinning. That little kid with the crew cut? My dad. The couple, standing by the outdoor fireplace, she's in heels... My grandparents.

Somedays I get so stuck in the sameness of it all. Up, big girl to school, boy to preschool, lunch, baby down for nap, that I lose sight of the big picture. The here and now. The fact that before I know it all I'll be left with is pictures... And I'll be the old one.

4 comments:

Julie Marsh said...

Oy. That's pretty heavy. But good to think about now and then - let's enjoy what we can while we've got it.

I really need to write my grandmother a letter.

Anonymous said...

How is the cookbook coming along?

ITA about the old photos. Time is just flying by and while I sit here trying to figure out what the heck to do with my life, I wonder if I'll be looking back at the photos wishing I enjoyed the moments a bit more. (please forgive the complete runon sentence).

Gretchen said...

Ya heavy.

C- I'm up to 118 pages...

Paulette said...

Wow, what a wonderful idea, putting together your family cookbook. I did a family history book once for a big family reunion. People still thank me for it to this day. Likewise, I'm sure your cookbook will be appreciated for years to come. But yeah, I hear you on what you've realized. As I saw pictures and learned about their lives, there was a sense of grief for these relatives and ancestors, and for knowing that someone will be looking at my family photos the same way in years to come. Life is short. Enjoy every moment.