Friday, November 18, 2005

Chocolate Peppermint Pinwheel Cookies

This is probably my favorite cookie.

Chocolate Peppermint Pinwheel Cookies.

I've been invited to a cookie exchange, and am planning to bring these. They do take a bit of effort, but are so very good.

I think cookie exchanges are pretty interesting. Interesting to see what others bake. I grew up baking Christmas cookies with my mom. We always made Spritz, Rosettes, and Almond cookies. There were some others too, but I can't remember them off the top of my head. It was fun to see the sticks of butter, mounds of flour and sugar, and eggs turned into something so tasty. I do let my kids help in the kitchen - they get to crack the eggs (I try and pick recipes with two eggs so big girl and the boy can each do one), measure and dump the flour, sugar, baking powder/soda, and the like. They love it. To be involved. To be the taste-testers of the first batch. I don't quite yet enjoy having them help. One must be careful they take turns and that things are 'fair'. They are also rather messy, and sometimes it takes me longer to clean up than to make the mess in the first place, but that's kind of how parenthood is. Soon enough they won't want to help, the'll have other more important things to do. The kitchen will be a place to grab something to-go, give mom a quick kiss on the head, and blast out the door. But if they are like me, they'll find their way back to the kitchen. Maybe it won't be cookies. Maybe it will. For right now though, I try and keep it in perspective - the help, the mess, the clean-up - it's so fleeting - and so too is their childhood.

My other recipe will be more kid friendly. They do enjoy eating a candy cane while I crush the rest, though.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

this gave me a warm fuzzy smile today. Adam helped me make low fat brownies today, all he had to do was pour in the water (a simpleton recipe, lol) and stir......I nipped the mess quickly too. I should have relished the moment longer.

Julie Marsh said...

Bookmarked the link already. Chocolate and peppermint is one of my favorite combos.

I am planning to making cookies with the girls several times in the coming weeks. Tacy can be a pretty decent helper, although she has a heavy hand when it comes to sprinkles.