Tuesday, January 06, 2009

Buffer Zone

The last couple weeks have brought more than the usual holiday related stress.

A week before Christmas, my husband was offered a 'voluntary buyout' of his current employment.

Not just him, but nearly everyone at the corporate office.

For the record, this is his second early retirement package in his 39 short years.

Yesterday was the day which he needed to declare his intent to take the package, or wait and see if other layoffs are necessary.

The package was very good, and after much discussion we decided he should take it. A bit like playing "Deal or No Deal" there were multiple numbers floating around. If this, then that... I told him that if he was serious about moving on to take the package and not look back. The amount to be possibly gained by waiting was not worth the stress.

So, much to my chagrin, it looks as though we will be moving to at the end of the school year.

I'd be happy to stay right where I am until the kids graduate. I have made myself at home here. My husband? Not so much. Not that he wouldn't, but the winters are hard on him and he's never really felt like this is 'home'. It's just different when you're home with the kids. We moved here on a Friday, and Monday he was at work - leaving me home. Leaving me to find my own way so to speak. If I want to make friends, I must put myself out there. I had to make this my home.

Fortunately, unlike many that find themselves without a job, with the compensation we will be able to wait until the kids are out of school to relocate. Also, unlike many that find themselves without a job, we have the backup of his dad's business. A business with quite a bit of opportunity and his dad is terribly excited to have him come on board.

It worries me to be so close to his parents. Not that they aren't lovely people, I've just never lived closer than three hours from them. Especially after our move here and with all my husband's travel, I got very, very used to taking care of things on my own. Very.

So right now I'm trying to concentrate on the good that will come of this. First and foremost, my husband will be back in an entrepreneurial position. It is his nature - it's what he does and thrives with. Secondly, this won't kill me. Well... No secondly, we can pick out a new house. New draperies to make, painting, decorating... I just need the appropriate buffer zone - you know, not next door to the in laws. Third, as always - It will be an adventure. It could possibly be a tough transition for the kids, but if we take this as a good thing, they will too.


...

Two posts in one day ... Who knew?

...

11 comments:

Builder Mama said...

I was wondering what you had decided to do. I know it's nerve-wracking, especially the whole part about being that close to the IL's (although I'm sure yours aren't nearly as bad as mine are, I'd venture to guess).

Things happen for a reason, my friend. I know it will all be okay for you.

(((((hugs)))))

Nat said...

hard times eh? I think he made the right decision, you are always better off going first in the layoffs.

It's too bad you have to move, we live in the same city as my parents. We've just learned to respect our boundaries. It'll be fine...

Hugs.

joansy said...

Wow that'a a major post. I can only imagine the stress of figuring out the right decision to make. I hope the move goes well and that you find the home, neighborhood and schools of your dreams. I can't wait to hear more details.

Bryan said...

I wish you and your family all the best. Ny father just got laid off. I'm helping work on his resume.

20+ years on the job. Who'd have thought??? *sigh* He could have retired by now if he didn't like his sports cars. A 57 year old guy doesn't need to be looking for a new jod.

Bryan said...

I wish you and your family all the best. Ny father just got laid off. I'm helping work on his resume.

20+ years on the job. Who'd have thought??? *sigh* He could have retired by now if he didn't like his sports cars. A 57 year old guy doesn't need to be looking for a new jod.

Unknown said...

I too was wondering how it was going. I am sure it will all work out. And if anyone can make the best of it - IT's YOU!!

Dysd Housewife said...

Ya know, if I were you, I would totally just make this a fun happy adventure. I lived for several years within a mile of my inlaws, and it was so great to be able to enjoy their company without having to make a big "vacation" out of it. :) good luck!

Joe said...

Good luck, Gretchen.

I echo the others' sentiments: When I was married, we lived in the same town as my parents and her parents.

Just establish the boundaries early, and make sure your husband is on board... You need a united front.

Again, good luck.

Anonymous said...

Moving is so stressful...but I wish you the best and it sounds like things will work out. Shorter winters and free babysitting?!

Mitzi Green said...

there's no rule saying you can't continue to take care of things on your own just because your outlaws are less than 3 hours away. my own outlaws are a mere 45 minutes away, and i manage to avoid them quite nicely. ;)

and i promise to welcome you with frozen alcoholic beverages made in my $450 blender. (yes, it went up.)

Cathy said...

That's a big decision to have to make! But all things happen for a reason - hope the new year is filled with lots of happy surprises as you undertake your new adventure :) Best of luck!