Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Made it...

The afternoon before the race I was hoping to get it done in four hours and not get caught by the 'sweeper.'

As I was trying to fall asleep, I talked myself into a 3:30.

I barely slept. I'm guessing I had around four-ish hours of sleep. I was up reading at 4:30 am. I continued to allow the race to roll through my head.

Since I wasn't terribly familiar with the course, except for on the map, I talked myself through a couple things I thought I might face: fatigue and wanting to quit. Rather than telling myself it would be alright to quit, I focused on the positives. That I really can do this.

Race day dawned cold and rainy. Cold enough I could see my breath (mid-30's), and it rained the entire time. The good thing about it is that our amazing host Aimee lives a few blocks from the start. We had curbside service to the start, and again at the end of the race (with a bevy of blankets and fleece jackets).


Since it was a chip timed race, we weren't too concerned about being in the middle of the pack. Anne, Tree and I took off together. After about a tenth of a mile, Tree took off.

Anne and I stuck together through the first 3.5 miles. She was a bit winded and urged me to go ahead.

I did, and actually felt really... good.

Amazingly good.

My plan was to "walk through" the water stations. For non-runners that involves grabbing a water, gatorade or both at the start of the station then drinking while walking until the end of the station (the last trash can), ditching the cup, and then running again.

I was feeling really good through mile six. Enter city park and two miles of switch-backs. Half a mile in and I had to 'go.' Ever time I'd run by a port-a-pot, there was a line of people waiting. I was not going to waste time waiting when there were plenty of trees and bushes. I waited for the next sharp turn and headed into the trees. Two minutes later, much relieved, I carried on. The same people were in line for the pot-a-pot.

The neat thing about the switch-backs is that you can see the other runners - both ahead and behind you. Yes. There were people behind me this time. Whoot!

Exiting City park, a mile later we entered Cheeseman Park, which by that time felt like more of the same. At least this time I didn't have to go to the bathroom. At the end of the park, nearing mile 11, the end was in sight.

I kept waiting to want to quit, or at least walk. But I didn't. Mile 12 the Marathoners headed for their next 13.1 and I turned left to the finish. Good decision. As great as the race was going, I was ready to be done. I clicked through the last mile and had a really strong finish.

My time?

Not 4 hours.

Not 3:30.

Not even 3.

Nope... It was 2:42.57.

Better than I could have hoped. Given that during my marathon, my half-split was around 2:30, plus the fact that I've been sick and unable to train for the last month, plus the altitude and crappy weather... I am completely stoked by 2:42.

And at the finish waiting to cheer me on? Tree.

She had a personal best of 1:55.45. Yes, she waited nearly an hour for me in the rain and crappy weather.

Anne was close behind with 2:50. Under three - that was her plan all along. She fought through the altitude and persevered on.

We are already in talks for our next race.


12 comments:

Tree said...

You rock!!!!!!!!!

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!

Definitely on for another. Sooner rather than later.

Rachelle Jones said...

Congratulations dear!! You rock...

I am inspired to do better!

That is excellent time!!

MPPs Mom said...

as a non-runner, I really enjoyed the race details. I had no idea there were pee breaks in a race, lol. I am so proud of all of you. Wish I could have been there to cheer you on in person!!

Julie Marsh said...

That is awesome!! Can't wait to tell Kyle how well you guys did!

Unknown said...

I am soooo proud of you!!!

Anonymous said...

Great recap, G. You kicked some serious tail. I am so very proud of you.

It was so good to see you and catch up. I hope we can meet up again in the spring.

lifestudent said...

Found your blog through a Las Vegas Marathon search ... still doing it? I just signed up after my first marathon experience blew up in my face ;)

Tanaya said...

You rock!!! I'm so glad this race was a fantastic experience. You really earned after slogging through the marathon. Congratulations!

Builder Mama said...

WOO HOO!!!!!

I am so proud of you and Tree and Anne too...congrats on the fabulous time!

g-man said...

Having read Aimee's accounting, now yours, I will need to read Tree's and Anne's. Great job!!!

Dan said...

*applause*
Well done Gretchen! Excellent work, congratulations on kicking ass on the time too!

And peeing behind a bush? *gasp*

MamaMaven said...

Congrats on your time and feeling good doing it in the cold rain. I am in awe of all three of you!