Monday, July 09, 2007

One Banana, Two Banana.

When I was about nine, my parents enrolled me in swimming lessons. Though I was all for it in theory, by the time they asked me to 'jump' in, I clammed up. Completely. I was terrified.

I was sure the grate at the bottom would suck me in. I was the only kid that wore a mask. Not just goggles, a mask. It wasn't until I was about 16 that I was comfortable in the water. Eventually, I became a confident and competent swimmer. I still have to convince myself that there aren't sharks, and I don't particularly like swimming in 'open' water.

I swore it would never be the same for my kids.

The first two looked like they would take after me. Taking them to the pool was like being molested by an octopus.

We tried lessons at the YMCA before we moved, but the ratio was to high and they didn't really seem to 'get it.'

After moving, I asked around and got several recommendations.

One of them was for a swim school.

The first two went to both the fall and spring session. I could not be happier with the result. The Big Girl can not only swim, but pick things up off the bottom. We tried diving at the neighbor's pool (it's deep enough) and she's really getting the hang of it. The Boy can jump off the edge, turn around and swim back. They are not only comfortable, but thriving.

Now, it's The Toddler's turn to get in the water. They arrange the kids by age and ability. The "Tots" range from 6 months to 36 months and require a parent to be in the water with them. Starting at three years, they are considered a "Little" and don't need parent involvement.

I signed up all three for a two week 'camp.' The Big Girl is repeating her last class. The instructor of her Spring session said she was 'right on the edge' of moving up, but he would like to see more skill mastery. Repeat it is. It's not a race. It's a life skill. The Boy is doing great in his next class, and I can't wait to see what he learns.

I signed The Toddler up for the Littles 1 (out of four for kids age 3 - 5). They had the children play "Red Light, Green Light" kicking at the side:



She had them make "Tiger Scoops" with the barbell:
And with the noodle:

They also had them 'back float' by laying their head on the instructor's shoulder. She put a noodle under the small of their back and had them put their arms out (like a star). She then sang "Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star" or "ABC's" while they almost relaxed.

Except my girl.

She said she didn't need a noodle.

Or the instructor's shoulder.

She promptly stretched out and floated while the instructor guided her with a light touch under her head. Eventually, the instructor let go completely.

At this point, the parent next to me asked, "Now she's four, right?"

No, she turned three on Saturday.

They finished up by playing "One Banana, Two" where the instructor counts, you guessed it "one banana, two banana" while the child goes face down in the water up to his/her ears. They're aiming for a five count by the end of the two weeks.

The first child got to two. The second child got to three.

My Toddler went to 13.

At the end of class, the instructor suggested moving her up to the Little 2's.

Can't wait to see what she'll do tomorrow.

1 comment:

MamaMaven said...

Wow, what a cute little fish! Its amazing what the youngest sometimes picks up just from trying to keep up with the big ones.