Monday, April 23, 2007

Notes from the weekend

Sunday afternoons at our house are most always a hoot. Usually by then the kids are being, well, kids, and my husband, used to his nice quiet office, has reached capacity and all I can think is "I do this every day."

We spent this Sunday afternoon shopping for a grill. We purchased one Sunday morning and my husband put half of it together before leaving for golf. Because I couldn't leave well enough alone, I finished putting it together. That's when it hit me. I don't like this grill. This one, unlike our previous, is charcoal. We've covered this before: I grew up cooking on charcoal, my husband prefers gas, but I do the vast majority of the grilling.

This one had a slight design flaw. The support bars for warming tray made it impossible to remove the cooking grate to put charcoal in.

Due to rain, my husband was home within the hour. It was quickly decided to try and return the grill, and see if there was another one "we" liked better.

First though, and more importantly, we had nap time.

Rainy, crappy day. What better to do than take a nap?

After nap, we loaded up. Stopped by the first store and returned the grill. Was asked, "If we can show you how to get the charcoal in, will you keep it?" I replied, no, but I want to know how anyway. The guy tried to show me, and then conceeded that it was a poorly thought out design. Looked at the other grills, then proceeded to hit two other places before returning to the first. With the three kids. It was, like I said, a hoot. The next choice was to go with another 'smaller' grill or go all out. Which?

Why all out, of course.

On another note.

I ran 15 miles Saturday. I did a new 11 mile loop then did a known 4 mile loop to round it out. It took me awhile, but I did it.

Couple of things:

The people here are really nice. I stopped counting after 10 the number of big-dualie-diesel-type pickups that gave me very wide berth. And by wide I mean they pulled more than half-way into the next lane to give me room on the shoulder.

To the two asshats on the bicycles. I know it's a trail. I know I was in the middle. But an audible, "On your left" as you come up behind me and I'll scoot right over. No need to scare the shit out of me as you whiz by me.

Fifteen miles is a long way. I looked at the rest of the training schedule and realized that I only have three training runs that are longer: 16 next weekend, then 18 and 20. I am so stoked. Eight weeks to go. To look at it, 20 doesn't seem so far - it's only 5 more miles than I ran on Saturday.

Runs this week: 4 (Tuesday), 8 (Wednesday), 4 (Thursday), 16 (Saturday).

Have a great Monday.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Deciding on a grill is hard stuff!!! And I am so impressed with your running.

Tree said...

GREAT job on the run, G!!!!!!!!! I am so proud of you.

Woo hoo on the grill. More importantly, the nap sounds wonderful.