Friday, April 20, 2007

Finally Friday

I'm starting to wonder if I've run out of words.

Or perhaps I've just used them all up this week with my husband out of town and all...

Ah well...

Spring has sprung.
The weather has finally turned and we've had a string of absolutely lovely days. Lovely. The kids are outside as much as possible. They are a tired heap at the end of the day. It's a bit difficult, though, because all of a sudden, the days are longer. Much, much longer. It's hard to convince them to come in at 7:30 when it stays light until after 8.

This summer we're looking to replace our grill. It's done it's duty and now has a date with the trash man. The main contemplation is whether to go gas or back to charcoal. I'm a fan of charcoal, my husband prefers gas. Guess who does most of the grilling? Me. We may have a chance this weekend to head out and see what we can find.

All this nice weather is just begging for a grill.

Last weekend we had a spontaneous cook out with the neighbors. They did a pork shoulder on the grill and provided salad, and we brought baked beans and fried apples. It was tasty. We also had plenty of cocktails and beer. In some ways I'm so ready for spring, in others, I hope my liver can take it.

Running.
Last week I ran 24 miles. 10 on Saturday. It took me a bit longer than I planned, but I got it done: ran 4 to the gym, 2 on the treadmill, and 4 back home. During that run, I discovered that as long as I'm running in the neighborhood, I'm getting enough hill work in. Damn glacial movement. In some ways I can't believe how far I've come. Ten weeks down, 8 weeks to go until the marathon. The funny thing is, I am better prepared (mentally) for the long runs, and struggle to get the short ones done. Wednesday was a 7 mile run. I broke it up into two runs since I can't do it all in an hour (the treadmill shuts off after an hour). I did four miles, stopped, got a drink, stretched then did three more. Thursday, I contemplated walking the four mile run. I did it pretty slow, and was overjoyed to read, "Make this an even easier workout than usual," after I got home. Of course, that 'easier' workout is in preparation for the 15 mile run on Saturday.

MILF.
Two pounds last week. My pants are starting to fit much, much looser. I'm pretty confident in how I look in shorts and a tank top. It's amazing what a difference losing a little bit of weight and gaining some muscle does. I can see a difference in my face, arms, upper torso, and legs. If I had a little more hubris, I'd take a picture of myself. Yes, I'm thinking I look that good. And isn't that what being a MILF is all about?

5 comments:

Tree said...

GREAT job, G!!! I am so proud of you!!!

I agree that being a MILF means that you feel confident in how you look. Being comfortable and happy in your own skin is quite a feat.

Anonymous said...

I am a garbage collector and like your comment about your old grill's "date with the garbage man". It is that time of year -- have had quite a lot of furniture over the past few days along with more bags then usual.

Had a woman this morning who was totally mesmorized seeing her old couch, tv and bags go in up close. You ever see the garbage truck working?

Also, you know that we love seeing MILFs out on the job :)

Unknown said...

It was 75 here today. And Bryan worked late. I was TOTALLY itching for from grillin'.

And WOO HOO on the pounds shed. You go girl!

Rachelle Jones said...

Proud of you!

Although I did not doubt your abitlity fro one minute.

Excellent work.

Keep it up!!

Anonymous said...

My husband keeps rehabbing our grill rather than replace it.

High heat paint
new grate
new lava rocks
new cover

I think he finds some sort of thrill in keeping it going year after year!