Thursday, March 22, 2007

Back in the groove.

Yesterday I had my first run in a week.

Considering it's week 6 of marathon training, I feel like such a slacker.

As hard as it was, I had to give myself a rest. I don't know if it was the nine mile run or the little slip on the ice, but I hurt my foot. You know that muscle between the ball and the heel of your foot? Mine swelled up and bruised. When was the last time you walked on a bruise?

I iced and stayed off it as much as I could.

Told my dad what was going on. He mentioned it to my mom's physical therapist who thought it sounded like a stress fracture. I'm sure hossing two hundred odd pounds for nine miles had nothing to do with it...

Yesterday, though, I'd had enough.

Got to the gym at 4 pm, just as the daycare opened for the afternoon. I was aiming for 45 minutes or 3 miles. I realize this is a 15 minute mile, but... I didn't want to re-injure myself.

Started out... Felt pretty good. Upped the pace. Still felt good. Upped the pace even more.

Managed to get 3 miles done in 35 minutes.

Not bad for me under normal circumstance.

Even better after a week off and an injury...

I'm back, baby! I'm back.

Today - 5 miles. Saturday - 7.

6 comments:

Mitzi Green said...

you're a maniac.

MamaMaven said...

You go girl! Sounds like listening to your body really paid off. I wish I were better at it.

Tree said...

Good job! It's hard to get back it sometimes, but your psyche seems to want it. That's the most important part.

Unknown said...

go girl go! I need to get my arse in gear too. you will be my inspiration. Right after I get back form vacation. ;P

Tanaya said...

Great News!

g-man said...

Good job Gretchen. Keep it up, keep an eye on your foot though, I'm sure you would not want to hurt it again.