Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Hump Day

While the cat's away...
My husband is gone again this week. He'll be flying home around 5:30 Friday. I am resisting the urge to repaint my upstairs bathroom. We painted it before we moved in, and although I don't dislike the color, I don't really love it. I know, we've been here less than a year and I'm already wanting to re-paint. Considering my husband just got done cleaning my brush from my last painting job, I don't want to press my luck. Generally, I do clean my own mess up, but this time I threw the brush (in a ziplock bag) in the laundry room sink and forgot about it. Unfortunately, when my husband went to clean out the beer fridge in the garage, all my crap was still in the laundry room sink. That's another lesson about living here - the garage got so cold, the cans in the fridge froze and exploded. Good times...

Your dreams miss you...
Every time I see the Rozerem commercial with Abe Lincoln, the Beaver, and the Guy Who Can't Sleep, I sit and wonder who is the guy that can't sleep? The guy in the grey shirt. (Unfortunately, this is the best picture I could pilfer from the web.) I am almost sure he is a child star. Today, as I was flipping through the channels, I ran across Mr. Mom. Could it be? The guy that can't sleep is Alex Butler? Better known as Chip on "Kate and Allie"?



Maybe I'm just slow and everyone else has figured it out already. Why do I even care except that I'm one of those people who is really good with faces, not so much with names. If I meet someone, and see them again later, I can generally tell you what we talked about, what they were wearing, and where we were, but I can't remember their name.

Most days, I'm lucky I remember my own name.



Drive Thru...
Perhaps another reason I'm not losing weight, is that we've found a Pie Drive Thru. Baker's Square, a mere five minutes away, has not only a full restaurant and oodles of pies, but they also have a drive through. For Pie. Last time we got a "Chocolate Peanut Butter Cup" pie. Genuis, I tell you. They even offer a punch card. For every six pies, you get the seventh free. Have a hankerin' for an Apple Pie on the drive home? Just pull on through...

For Your Netflix Queue...
"Riding Giants"
Caught this on hdnet the other night. It's listed as a "Documentary detailing the origins and history of surf culture." But it's more than that, so much more. It's like one big highlight reel. I could barely tear myself away. Greg Noll is a *bleeping* gem. There's quite a bit of footage from the 1950's and early 60's - and to hear the stories from the guys that lived it... Amazing. It was directed by Stacy Peralta of Dogtown and Z-Boys.

Valentine's Day...
This year I had the opportunity to help two kids put together valentines. I accomplished this by mixing my new favorite drink. Next year, with the Toddler in Preschool, I will be helping three kids. I digress. The point I'm trying to make is that I actually got a few sent out myself. That's the good part. The Oldest, my girl, is a self starter. She wasn't any problem. I had to 'encourage' the Boy to do his. We waited until the Toddler was tucked safely in bed to stave off total anarchy. By the end of the night, with one kid talking in each ear and Spongebob yapping in the other room... I got sidetracked. On one of my valentines... I spelled my own name wrong. The name I've had for thirty-three years. The name I could write when I was three. I spelled it wrong. I about threw the card away, but it was too funny (the card) not to send. Ah well...

And a very special "Happy Hump Day" this Valentine's Day.

5 comments:

Terri@SteelMagnolia said...

Hi Gretchen...

I do the same thing when it comes to painting .... I don't mind the painting... but really don't care for all the clean up... :-(

and re: Spongebob Squarepants in the background... funny! Love that show ... I hear that little song in my head all the time now!!

I came by to thank you for the heads up to run over to Kevin's blog (in October 2006, right?)from Dan's blog....
OMG...Kevin is hysterical ....(I love Dan, too)
He sent me the sweetest and kindest e~mail... he has a great heart.

I think I've seen you over on Joansy's blog... well.. I've seen you on a few blogs... I can't remember them all...

Thank you again..
I'll be back! :-)

Mitzi Green said...

DRIVE-THRU PIE??? jesus. welcome to the midwest. no wonder we're all fat.

you've obviously never attended the Mitzi Green School of Valentines. it involves cutting out construction paper hearts, slapping some stickers on said hearts, and writing "happy valentine's day! from: (bob)" on the front. hell, even that takes longer than anything fun should.

and i say paint the bathroom. when i weigh 200 pounds and every room in your house sports an original mural, maybe they'll take the hint and stop leaving us alone so damned much...

Tanaya said...

At age 35, that drive thru pie thing makes me almost as excited as the drive thru liquor stores of my youth. It's so sad, the getting old thing.

Anonymous said...

Happy Valentine's Day...and thanks for the pie craving - I totally need the extra calories! ;)

Gretchen said...

Terri - Hi! Kevin cracks me up...

Mitzi - I told you you need to visit me. Drive thru pie.

Tanaya- oh. drive. thru. liquor. mmmmm.

Melissa- I'm sorry ;)