Wednesday, January 24, 2007

Hump Day

Next year, I'm making more

The Hot Banana Peppers have been a big hit. Big. We're on our second jar, with one to go. I've made a deal with the neighbors for next summer - if they grow the peppers, I'll can them. The Mrs. is a big canner, but is usually busy with salsa when the peppers are ready. She never quite gets around to them. I'm sure we can work something out. How I'd love to send jars out - it's like a little bit of summer. We've been eating them on sandwiches, pizza, nachos, enchiladas - you name it. I aslo did a couple jars of Sweet Banana Peppers, so I guess we'll be ok. The pickles have been a big hit too; by February, I'll break out the peaches.


Before and after - the store room.
This took me about a day. I was mostly looking for a place to put the grow-into clothes and the gallon jugs of maple syrup from Sam's Also, we're looking into getting a second fridge for the basement. I can only store so many refrigerator pickles and still buy food.


And on to the next project...
I've mentioned before I have a "craft" room. I'm in the process of cleaning it out. Went to IKEA over the weekend and bought some shelving and bins to try and make sense of it all. I've gone through about eight boxes - three filled back up as donate, two to my sister, and the rest in trash bags. I've come to the point in the project where I pretty much need to get everything out in order to get the shelving in. Which leaves me with a dilemma -do I paint? I'd love to do it in a soft, sage green. I'm torn because there is so much else I could be doing besides painting, but... I enjoy painting. And this is an easy room - only one door and the baseboards to tape, and I wouldn't need a ladder as the ceiling is only 7 feet. I'm guessing once the room is empty, I could get it done in about two hours. If I don't do it now, I never will. I think I've just made my decision...

Most assuredly a 'before' picture.

7 comments:

g-man said...

You go Gretchen. I hope that one day we can have all our stuff put away in its proper place (garbage, shelves, where ever) and have room left over for new stuff :) We had to go through boxes last night looking for a paper, and came across stuff from when we moved into the last house.

Anonymous said...

I'm jealous. Can you come to my house and organize my garage? :)

Tree said...

Freaking awesome! With our remodel, we will actually have storage space!!! I am jealous and in awe, but also inspired. You have given me some motivation to work on N's closet and J's closet.

Gretchen said...

g-man - That's one thing I love about the store room - there's empty space for more stuff!

Melissa - you just tell me when and where!

Tree- That's how it starts - one closet at a time!

Anonymous said...

You really need to offer your services for hire!

Now if I could only motivate myself . . .

Mrs. Wheezer said...

Wow, Gretchen! You are an artist (I'm serious). My 'afters' look more like your 'befores' and I'm jealous.

I'm going to finish up the last of my refrigerator pickles tonight!

Mom O Matic said...

That looks great! If I lived by you I would be there helping you purge since I love to get rid of stuff and organize!