Friday, January 26, 2007

Everybody dies

Today in the car we talked about death. The kids were very interested, and asked a lot of questions.

Can you see God?

-Not when you're alive, but you can when you're dead.

Why?

-That's just how it works.

Does everybody die?

-Yes.

Why?

-That's how it works.

How do you die?

-Um... There are a lot of ways. That is a very good question.

Like you're hunting and somebody thinks you're a deer and they shoot you?

-That's one way.

Or you drowned? That's why we're taking swimming lessons, so we don't drown.

-That's another way, and certainly one reason to take swimming lessons.

I don't want to die.

-I don't want you to die either. But it's something that you don't have to worry about for a very long time. One way to live a long time is to make good choices. Like eating healthy.

And not smoking.

-Right, not smoking. Exercising and drinking plenty of water. Eating lots of fruit and veggies.

I don't want you to die.

-I don't want to die either, not for a very long time.

Good. Because what would we do without a mom?

-That is a very good question.

It's moments like these, that I'm not sure I'm prepared for parenting. There's no manual for this. It's not like you sit down and talk about death, it just comes up after lunch on the way home to get ready for preschool. It just pops up. Unannounced.

On a slightly less dire note. My MILF-y weigh in. Still stuck at 205. Could be worse. Could be my highest non-pregnant weight of 235. Or it could be my highest pregnant weight or 249ish. Just some emotional things weighing me down, right now. I'll get there.

9 comments:

g-man said...

We (Princess Drama Queen and I) had a similar conversation while in the process of them going to bed. Naturally it was at the end when I was saying my final 'good-nights'. On the down side she had heard a news report of a girl who had died. She was tired and flipped out. I had to stay for an extra 10 minutes holding hands while they closed their eyes. Fun.

Anonymous said...

Hang in there. You will get there.

Anonymous said...

Oh, that conversation hurts me. I'm not looking forward to it but you seem like you handled it well.

MamaMaven said...

Sounds like you handled it all with your usual wisdom. It is amazing when the heavy conversations pop up.

MPPs Mom said...

MPP has questions about death a lot lately. The ending scene of Ice Age II has brought even more questions about it. So I'm with you!!!
And HUGS on the weighty issues.
Christina

Anonymous said...

Nice job! I like the way you worked in the things that can help you live longer. I worry about being too preachy when the time comes -- you were great.

Anonymous said...

Like you're hunting and somebody thinks you're a deer and they shoot you?

-That's one way.

Like you're hunting with Dick Cheney and he blows buckshot in your face!!

On a similar note, my 2 year old wanted my husband to take a bath with her the other night. He needed one too, so he hopped in. She wanted to know what the thing between his legs was called and what it felt like. I told her its a penis and my husband didn't know if it was appropriate if she touched it. I said why not, she has a brother on the way and we should explain the differences between boys and girls. And that was the end of it.

Next morning she asked if I had a penis. I said no that mommies and girls had a different way of going pee pee. Then she asked if I left my penis at Target. Too funny!

So, what do you call the female anatomy? Vagina isn't technically correct, but is there a better all encompassing word?

Gretchen said...

g-man - it happens when you least expect it.

paige - thanks!

jenny - the hardest part is being 'honest' - I can't tell them I'll live forever, or they will, because we won't. That's what's hard for me.

Heather - Thanks - yes, they do pop up at odd times.

mpps mom - it tends to go in spurts around here, too. Some day, they'll have easy questions - like about sex!

abogada - what amazes me is how in-tune they are. My oldest was the one that mentioned not smoking. I try not to be too 'preachy' either.

anon - my 4 year old came up with the hunting reference on his own. I swear. We call it a vagina. "Vulva" is too, um..., makes me squeamish.

Jenny said...

Very funny!

I thought your answers were great.