Wednesday, October 04, 2006

Old School

Now Playing

First half of my playlist from my workout today:

Hot Legs - Rod Stewart
Sweet Home Chicago - The Blues Brothers
Shake Your Tailfeather - Ray Charles
I Want to Hug You - John Lee Hooker
Move It On Over - George Thorogood & and The Destroyers
Bad to the Bone - George Thorogood & and The Destroyers

There's more, but I'll save it for another day.


Now Spin That Wheel

Bob Barker.






Thirty Years.

Over 3,524 shows.

"Help Control The Pet Population, Have Your Pets Spayed Or Neutered."

Bob, I love watching people win cars on your show. Of course, it is a little embarassing when I talk out loud to to the contestants while at the gym. People stare.

Comfort Food
Thanks Army Wife. For the wicked idea of layering apples, bread pudding, and caramel sauce. Made bread yesterday. Have just enough left over. Pulled out the family cookbook and made the caramel sauce while the kids ate lunch. Will put the rest together this afternoon.

Caramel Sauce (from my great-grandmother born 1883)

1 cup sugar
2 tbsp flour
2 cups water
1 tsp vanilla
1 tsp butter

Place ½ cup of sugar on a shallow frying pan. Heat very slowly and stir constantly until light brown syrup has formed. Add one cup of water and let boil for three minutes. Mix the sugar and flour and add the caramel syrup and the rest of the water and boil for two minutes. Add remaining ingredients and serve hot or cold.


This does not taste like what you get in the store. If the sugar is initally too dark, the sauce will taste burned. It needs to be pretty light. Of course, you can always burn sugar intentionally, and make ice cream.

Please note, that in order for sugar to melt it gets really hot. Really. It gets even hotter when water is added and it boils. Don't try to eat this right away. Allow it to cool a little.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

so what you're saying is....it might not be a good idea to immediately lick the spoon after making carmel sauce?

I did this once after making fudge. I took the pot off the stove and licked the spoon. My whole tounge blistered. OUCH!!

Gretchen said...

Jenn,
I'm not laughing at you - maybe just giggling a little. Do you still have a sense of taste?

I have a scar on my hand where one drop of simmering sugar solution dropped on my hand. I think it was at the soft ball stage...

Gretchen

Rachelle Jones said...

Gretchen,

First off cute curtains. I am envious, as I do not have any sewing skills, other than embroidery, and needlepoint, sewing on buttons...

none.

Second!! Thank you for the caramel sauce. I do want photos so I can post this over at my place, as some sort of group blog recipe.

third. Was the layered splendidness something we can retire off of?