Monday, October 16, 2006

Monday, Monday

Figuring out something to do, and then actually doing it are two different things. Especially with kids. I like to think I've gotten the process pretty streamlined - diaper and a few wipes in my purse and we're ready for most anything. Gone are the days of "checking my makeup" or "fixing my hair." Here are the days of throwing my hair back in a pony-tail and making sure I don't have too much dried kid slobber and/or booger on my left shoulder. No need to "dress up" or "look cute." Those days are long gone. For now, just have to make sure the kids go to the bathroom, brush hair, and have appropriate clothing. Other than that, we're good to go. There's something to be said for having the kids a little older.

Saturday, I had First Aid and CPR training. It was supposed to run 9 am to 5 pm, but it was a small class and we were done by 3. Note - I was the only person that got all the answers on the test right. My husband, of course, wanted to know how many were in the class. I told him four. He laughed, and I told him that it doesn't change that I got all the answers right.

Got home at 4:30, after a stop at Target and the liquor store. Two small looters had gotten into our small candy stash and were watching cartoons. The little one and Daddy were taking a nap. I mixed myself a drink. Daddy got up shortly thereafter.

We decided to do something "fun."

Bowling.

Called our favorite smoke-free bowling alley (if that's not an oxymoron, I don't know what is) and checked on lane availability. Loaded up the kids and off we went.

Why bowling? Husband and I got involved with a bowling league. The weekend before was our first time bowling in over ten years. I sucked. Bad. The first game. By the third game, I was feeling a little better. Found out that the first night's scores are what's used for the handicap for the rest of the year. Can only get better.

Can I just say that bowling with two other adults is much, much different that bowling with three kids? Not that it wasn't fun. Oh, it was a lot of fun. The kids had a great time. The bumpers were up. They have a "family pack" that pays for two hours verus a number of games. For awhile, we had a guy next to us, all zen-like, and he'd stare at the pins for at least a minute before winging it down the lane. We made the kids wait, and follow the rules. We still managed to get in two and a half games. The half game, though, was us telling the kids that it was Grown-Up Bowling. Unfortunately, I forgot the camera, so no pictures of the two year old in bowling shoes. The kids had a great time. We'll go back.

My point? The kids love to go and do things. Love it. As long as it isn't errands. Otherwise, they're up for it. The problem? The parents. Sometimes it just seems like a hassle. It shouldn't be. The older they get, the more they can do. The older they get, the less they want to do with Mom and Dad. Need to take advantage now. Take the time now...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

love bowling and it's funny with little kids.

True, they won't want to hang much longer, must take advantage.

I only have one and somedays it feels like a hassle. have to take extra stuff and get everything you "might" need.