Wednesday, September 13, 2006

Count it - two, yes two...

Two weeks in a row I've managed to get in more than two workouts!

Can I just say that Monday was probably the best workout I've had in awhile.

Elliptical for 45 minutes - heart rate around 148. Normally I dog the first 20 minutes, hating every one, but then it kicks in. Nothing hurts. It's all good. Except when my toes go numb. I've heard it's because I'm moving my legs, but not picking my feet up and down (which you're not supposed to do on the elliptical). Solved that problem. When I start to feel the tingle, I pick up the offending foot and rotate it clockwise, then counter-clockwise - while still going on the machine. Try it sometime...

While cruising away, a guy hopped on the treadmill right in front of me. I have never seen funnier form than I did Monday. It almost looked like he was skipping - bounce, bounce, bounce. Have you ever watched a kid run. I mean really run? Their head doesn't move, just the body. Pure form. Pure function. Once an adult, we tend to lose that. We start thinking about what we're doing, instead of just doing it.

Weights - Had something happen Monday. Hopped on the one of the weight machines. Had to up the weight. After a guy had been on it. He saw me. Wonder if it bothered him?

I started something new with my leg raises as well - where you hoist yourself up, resting on your arms, and lift your legs to a 90 degree angle? They were getting pretty easy with only my weight for resistance, so now I hold a 4 pound ball between my feet while I raise them.

Abs - one of the most "hated" parts. They weren't that great to begin with, but after gestating three kids, I don't know if it can get much worse. Right now I'm working on eating right and cardio, and crunches. My little routine: 20 center, 20 knees to the left, 20 center, 20 knees to the right, 20 center. Five times.

I'm also looking to do some outdoor running while the weather holds. Preferably fartleks.

Why the big push? Our 10 year anniversary is coming up. My husband wants to take me some place tropical...

4 comments:

Tanaya said...

I know exactly what you mean about form and coincidentally, I was thinking about that today. I saw a trio of early twenty-ish guys running this morning and they were true runners, you know the ones who make it just look effortless. I have never and will never have that form. Thanks for the elliptical tip, my feet fall asleep, too

Builder Mama said...

G, try getting a balance ball to do abs with. I swear I get much better range of motion without pounding my back too much and get good results too. I know post-Monkey Man I'll never have a 6-pack, but I have seen a big difference.

Rachelle Jones said...

Congratulations!! I do believe in quality over quantity...I am stillout of yoag, but am walking about 4 miles, about 4 days out of the week...I would love to go daily...

Joe said...

Duders...

Tip for the elliptical- losen your shoelaces.

You don't need them as tight as when you are running.

Once I discovered this magical secret, the numbness and tingling went away, and I was able to focus more on the pain, sweat and boredom.