Monday, May 01, 2006

Letters

Thursday late afternoon I'm leaving for three glorious nights. Three nights with no one to wake me at 3 am. Three mornings to sleep in. Three days to do what I want.

Before I can do that, I have letters to write. Three of them. One to each child detailing what wonderful individuals they are. Detailing how much I love them and what I want for their future. The letters will be put in my dresser drawer. I don't tell my husband about them, but my parents know. Silly, I know, but my husband thinks I'm wacky enough without telling him I wrote letters to my kids should the plane go down.

There are things I need and want them to know. I'll most likely write them Wednesday, and with that I'll sleep well. No time for rewrites, just raw, unfiltered mommy emotion. Thursday morning I'll pack my bag and after school they'll take me to the airport. Hugs, kisses, and maybe a few tears, but I'll go knowing if something happens they have the letter from me.

When I come home, and nothing has happened except the supreme spoiling by Husband's parents, I'll take the letters and file them with the others - one from my trip to Baltimore and one from a trip to Lake Tahoe. I'm planning on keeping them, and giving all the letters to them when they turn 18.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think that is a wonderful idea. You just never know what will happen from day to the next.

Valerie said...

I think it is a wonderful idea too. I know the first time I flew after having T I told my DH if anything happened to us to make sure we were buried together. Morbid but I felt I had to tell him. BTW enjoy sleeping in.

Tree said...

What a grand idea, G. Those will be invaluable to them later.

Have a super trip! I look forward to some stories.

Teresa