Thursday, May 20, 2010

Memory Quilt

Made this for a friend, whose nephew was taken too young by cancer:
It was a bit hard, knowing that these shirts and sweatshirts once belonged to a promising young man.

I took care to outline each design, holding the quilt together a bit better than if I'd just stitched in the ditch. The final measurement was 64" x 80".

It was an emotional one to put together, I tell you. But getting a phone call saying it was more she'd dreamed of made it all worth it. I hope it brings the family some peace, if nothing more than to hold.

...

6 comments:

MPPs Mom said...

I adore it. And I can see how it would mean so much to her.

Now I am starting to visualize what you can do with my two kids' baby clothes..... You have such talent G!!

Anonymous said...

What a comfort to be able to "hold" one so dear!! You're amazing! G'ma

Piper Paradise said...

You are very talented!!!

Whodat? said...

It's beautiful, G. One of these days, I may FINALLY be able to let go of my Dad's things so you can do this for me. I just can't yet.

Mom O Matic said...

Oh heartbreak, but what a gift to be able to hold a comforting quilt made up of his clothes. So lovely of you.

Karen said...

What a beautiful gift and such a wonderful idea.