Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Lauren's Quilt

Aka - the Double Secret Probation Project.

It started innocently enough...
Thirty nine white squares went out in the mail. You know that scene from Seinfeld where George's fiancee dies from the glue on the envelopes? Yea. Something like that. Anyway, with me it made 40.

What to do... I knew I wanted pink and brown. I settled on a jelly roll of "All You Need is Love" fabric from Moda. Cut the jelly rolls and waited in anticipation for the return envelopes to start arriving.

Eventually I had them all, and was able to get started.


Doesn't look like much now, does it?

I roughly sketched out a color placement. I knew this wouldn't be final, but it was a good place to start.



I laid them out on the kitchen table, and soon discovered it wasn't big enough.


Put them together: top, bottom, press, left, right, press. Repeat. Again. And Again.


I finally gave up the table and put them on the floor. The kids had strict instructions: do not touch them, do not step on them, if you pick one up... I'll... I'll... I'll get really, really mad.


Left to right to make rows, then sew the rows together.
"Sandwich" the backing, batting and quilt top, and um... Quilt it.



Quilting's done, that means sew the binding. I meant to get more pictures, but it was two in the morning when I stitched the binding on the front.



It's starting to look like something now...

A blurry picture - hand stitching the back of the binding...



Did I mention it was really late? I finally gave up and went to bed. Up bright and early the next morning to finish.



Viola.

Overall, I'm very pleased with this, and I think Lauren is too. This quilt is like a long-distance hug from her Mom Friends. I certainly hope I don't have to make another pink ribbon quilt.

And... There was even enough fabric left over for a bag to hold it.


Lauren... Know that you're in our thoughts and prayers each and every day!

...

13 comments:

Mrs. Wheezer said...

To quote my 6 year old: Awesome!

Thanks for doing this for us, Gretchen. You are amazing.

TxGambit said...

It is sooo beautiful! Thank you sooo much for putting this together.

She is soooo awesome and I am so glad we (mostly you) could do this for her.

I so hope you (us) don't have to do this again but it is nice to know that the support is there if we need it.

Mayberry said...

I agree. AWESOME. Here's to the love of good friends and kicking cancer to the curb.

Nat said...

That's lovely. I must have missed the genesis of this project... you are amazing.

Anonymous said...

Sooooooooooooooo NICE!
What an awesome gift.

Yvonne

Loralee Choate said...

It looked great when you showed me your fabric and lay out plans but it is absolutely GORGEOUS completed!!!

BlueBella said...

Incredible! Lauren is blessed to have such amazing and supportive friends. You rock, Mama!
And Lauren - stay strong & beat that crap!

Melissa said...

Absolutely Gorgeous and how comforting! I have goosebumps and tears all at the same time. What a great gift. Lauren is luck to have friends like you!!!

Unknown said...

It's so wonderful. Thanks for working so hard to make Lauren feel us reaching out to her!

Tree said...

Gretchen, your hard work made it possible.

Lauren's virtual hug is now a real one.

Amanda Jean said...

it's gorgeous!

Rachelle Jones said...

Amazing job....to all of those that participated...

you made me cry again...

gpagma said...

I am so very proud of you! You are always so thoughtful. This quilt will be a warm reminder of the love and comfort of many friends. Your thoughtfulness reaches so many people! You are amazing!