Monday, March 24, 2008

Monday, Monday

Hope everyone had a lovely Easter Sunday.

I hesitate to say it was a 'hard' day, but it was. I felt as though the full weight of tradition rested in me. With Grandma gone, I am now the Mother. Wholly the middle generation. No longer one of The Grandkids. It felt like the last little bit of my childhood was gone.

The day started bright and early making rolls. Unfortunately, I woke up thinking I'd swallowed a pine branch, but it was just the remains of the gin and tonics.

With the rolls made, the jell-o salad, and the "Pudding Pie" put together, it was time to get dressed and head for church.

Once home, I assembled the escalloped potatoes and escalloped corn, rolled the rolls, cut the asparagus, and put together a relish tray.

All in all, it was a good day - and the food was, if I do say so, wonderful. It's not that I've never planned and executed a holiday dinner, I've just never really been the Head Cook and Keeper of the Family Recipes.

Anyway... Some pictures from last week.

All dressed up after the funeral.

We toasted Grandma with gin and tonic, her Happy Hour drink of choice. I was the bartender.

We stayed at my Aunt and Uncle's. They have a beautiful farmhouse.

I have always loved the two staircases - one to the "parlor" and one to the kitchen. Look at all that woodwork.
We had one night at my parents'. The kids love the hot tub! My parents are so accommodating - My mom's in with them...
We took a quick visit with Hub's Granny. She turned 91 on St. Patrick's day.

The kids were kept busy on Vacation. They went to a place called "Wonderscope" - it is a "hands on" childen's museum. Meaning go ahead and touch everything - needless to say, they had a great time.


I'm still trying to get back in the swing of things.

It may take a few days.



...

6 comments:

Mom O Matic said...

Hang in there, I know it can't be easy. But looking at all your pictures is clear you have such a beautiful family surrounding you. I hope that helps a bit.

Anonymous said...

Funny, when my granny passed many moons ago some of the traditions went with her. Still whenver I have a rye and ginger I think of her, and how she insist in be Crown Royal and Pure Spring Ginger Ale.

Hugs.

Anonymous said...

Funny, when my granny passed many moons ago some of the traditions went with her. Still whenver I have a rye and ginger I think of her, and how she insist in be Crown Royal and Pure Spring Ginger Ale.

Hugs.

Loralee Choate said...

Easter was hard on a lot of people it seems.

It's always hard when you have a "Shift" in family traditions and realize that time marches on.

Tree said...

My grandparents are having happy hour with your grandma, I am sure, sharing the Chicken in a Biskit crackers. OMG. I loved those things!!

Unknown said...

Hugs. And awesome pics.