Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Getting caught up...

I finally feel like I have a little better grip on things. Just a little...

First off, we're doing the 'make one, buy one' Christmas gifts for the kids. Simply put, we (The Mr. and I) are buying them one gift, and I'm making them one gift. The girls were easy - they both wanted a ruffled poncho. Simple enough, except I still have to make one, but I have the yarn. The Boy? He wanted something else...




Any guesses? It's hard to tell from the picture, but he wanted a camo backpack for all his 'important things.' The hard part about this was I could only work on in when he was gone, which isn't that much...

I did finally make something that resembles a backpack.


I ended up not using the cording, and opting to make shoulder straps. I put a bit of elastic in the front, under the flap, to keep the 'important things' in. I left the straps a little long, so if they're not long enough I could let them out. Hope he likes it.



Next off, I found this delicious fabric.



Any guesses? It should be easy enough... We like to give wine at Christmas and I'm not spending oodles on a crappy bag. I'll just make my own...



Dozen, that is... I'm thinking I'll sell these on etsy next year.



One more pile of fabric... Green felt and a skein of white yarn...



Hmmm.... Any guesses?



A dozen elf hats. My daughter's class is doing a Christmas production, and she's the "Head Elf." I offered to help with some hats...



Not to leave the non-wine drinking neighbors out, I made some homemade Anise Candy for them today.



I'm just a little impatient, so I set it outside for a minute or two to cool off. It's an unseasonably warm 18 degrees Farenheit here today. This is the candy I always remember my paternal Grandma making.

Anise Candy:
2 c sugar
1 c corn syrup
1 c water
1 tsp anise (or more -I use closer to two)
red food coloring.
Combine sugar, syrup, and water. Cook to 300. Remove from heat and add anise and coloring. Pour into a well greased pan and cut into squares.

It should really read - pur into a well greased pan, let cool, and cut into squares. 300 degrees is really freaking hot. Really.

Not to leave my maternal Great Grandma out, I'm making her rolls for dinner. Yes, the knead and let rise type. The roast and potatoes are in the oven.

Last but not least... Speaking of delicious fabric, I found more of the stuff that drove my hit counter through the roof:

My sister has already requested a purse. Unfortunately, I'll probably have to wait until after the New Year to do anything with it. If you think of something you'd like, you're welcome to call dibs.



...

4 comments:

Mitzi Green said...

um, no thanks. the brokeback fabric makes me sort of uncomfortable.

oh, and everything else? fabulous as always. thanks for making the rest of us look bad. really. thanks.

joansy said...

My brokeback heating pad arrived today and I love it! It smells fantastic and the studly cowboy is even better close up.

Anonymous said...

Sweet Lord, you are certainly talented. Thanks for the recipe!

Mommi Tutu said...

Ooooh I can't WAIT for my purse!!!!! Tee hee!