Wednesday, November 07, 2007

What's for Dinner Wednesday?

Last week, I touched on my favorite way to cook chicken in the crockpot.

It really is as easy as it sounds:

Wad a couple balls of foil and place in the bottom of the crockpot:


Rinse chicken out, and season all over. I like to stuff half an onion, a couple baby carrots, and a little celery in the neck cavity. If it doesn't fit, just throw it in the crockpot.
That. Is. It. Close the lid and let it cook. You don't need to add any liquid. 8 hrs on low, or 4 on high. Or two on high and four on low.

I did this yesteray. Had a couple things come up, and ended up cooking mine for around 12 hours.
The meat fell off the bone. And tasted wonderful.

I ended up saving it, and the drippings, for another day. Like today.

Colorado Cache Chicken Salad - my bastardized version:
Dressing:
Mayonnaise
Soy (or Tamari) sauce
Vinegar
Dried Onion
Curry Powder
Ginger

Add:
Roughly chopped chicken
Quartered red grapes
Finely chopped celery
Water chestnuts - chopped
Cashews

Stir together and serve with crackers or croissants. Yummy lunch.

Later, I'll be using all those tasty drippings to make chicken and noodles.

Homemade Noodles (thanks Mom)
1 c flour
1/4 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 egg
2 Tbsp milk (give or take)
Stir together flour, bp, and salt. Create a well and add egg and milk. Whisk together, gradually incorporating flour mixture. Cover and let set 10 minutes or so. Roll and cut.

It's nice to have one of these:

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

But if you don't the rolling pin and a sharp knife will suffice.
Today: I'm thankful for my Colorado Cache cookbook. If you cook at all, you need this one in your collection.

7 comments:

Tree said...

My new kitchen will be ready (maybe - knock on wood panelled desk) by Saturday! I want to make this homemade noodles. How thick to roll out the noodles?

What is that seasoning?

And I do have a Colorado Cache cookbook! My parents found it at a garage sale and gave it to me.

Mitzi Green said...

i was just thinking of chicken and noodles today...paula was doing a "grandma's kitchen" show and got all teary thinking about her granny teaching her how to cook...which got pg me all teary thinking about how my own grandmother taught me (and only me) how to make homemade egg noodles so long ago...

Mom O Matic said...

Oh you rock. I'm such a bad cook I'll take any easy recipe you can throw my way. I've got a chicken in my freezer too.

Karen said...

Mmm, sounds yummy. The sad thing is, I have a crockpot and never use it and I have a pasta machine and never use it. It's even worse as I have a catering qualification. Bad, Bad, Me!

Joe said...

Do you have something like a Greg Brady set-up in your basement that I could move into?

I could spell you with the kids once in a while, and I enjoy shoveling.

Oh, and I'd need high-speed internet and some beads hanging from the door.

Thanks. You know where to reach me.

MamaMaven said...

Mmmmm, homemade noodles. Definitely one of my most fond memories from growing up--going to grandma's house with noodles drying on every surface in the kitchen! I'll have to give it a try on my own--I conquered the pickles, I should be able to make noodles.

Gretchen said...

Tree- Like I emailed, it's Lawry's chicken and poultry season and rub - found it at Sam's. Most any poultry rub would work. Otherwise salt and pepper would be just fine.

Mitzi - there is something special about cooking with Grandma. Mine is the reason I put together the family cookbook.

Lotta- it really is that easy - You'll do great!

Karen - catering qualifications? What would it take to get you to visit?

Joe - actually, we do. The only thing missing are the beads, but that's an easy fix.

Heather - I hang mine on coat hangers "NO WIRE HANGERS!!!!" and it works pretty well.