Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Review + Hump Day

Let's Get Ready For Kindergarten!
A month ago, I sat in the elementary gym and listened to "Kindergarten Information Night." My middle child will be starting school in the fall. Seeing as this is my second child to go to school, I shouldn't be nervous, right?

I am.

My first had several years of daycare which included plenty of "letter of the week" and "show and tell" type activites. My other son and daughter? They've just had me. I'm a bit nervous if he's academically ready. Sure, he's gone to preschool and participated in a couple activities. But there's the lingering doubt.

When I was asked to review "Let's Get Ready For Kindergarten!" I was terribly excited. Looking at the book has been like a litmus test. They have a list of "Early Childhood Skills" to get started - good to know before schools starts, and things that kindergarteners will be learning.

What surprised me is how much of this my son already knows. They list things like colors, shapes, numbers, seasons, and opposites (he knows); and others like our address and phone number (he doesn't). The really neat thing about this book is that it is Dry Erase-able. Kids can practice writing in it, whether tracing the letters, numbers, or shapes and then just wipe it off and start over.

Linda Desimowich and Stacey Kannenberg have done a great job touching on the 'basics' the kids will need to know as a Kindergartener. Many of the skills will be taught in school as well, but it's great to have a place to start.

Like the principal at the meeting I went to said, "Kids today are doing in Kindergarten what kids ten or fifteen years ago were doing in first grade."

Parent Bloggers Network

If you're interested, hop on over to http://www.parentbloggers.com and leave a comment on the "Let's Get Ready!" post why you need these books - Stacey will be giving a set away!


White Snow, Bright Snow...
As predicted, we have about two inches of snow. The kids immediately wanted to go out to play. The toddler lasted about 20 minutes, the four year old is still out there. My daughter was sure to pack her snowpants and boots for recess. The nice thing about this snow is it isn't terribly cold. But it's still coming down. Another front is expected in a day or two. It's killing my husband. After a week of freshly cut grass and tulips 'down south,' he's ready for spring.

Babies!
Monday, my sister brought her babies home. So far, all are doing well. She's still working on nursing, but also supplementing with formula. They're both over five pounds at this point. Sounds as if they have a bunch of doctor appointments scheduled in the coming weeks: regular ped, eye doctor, and cardiologist to name a few. Both of them have rumbles in their hearts, but we're hoping they will self correct in the next few months. The biggest however is the eye doctor. Apparently most preemie babies have a condition that may self correct, but if it doesn't and they don't receive appropriate treatement they will end up blind. The doctor said that of all the appointments, even the one with the cardiologist, this is the most important.

Running...
I've been keeping up with it. I was supposed to do three miles yesterday, but when I got to the gym I couldn't remember if it was three or four, so I did four. Today is six, and Thursday is another four. One more mile won't hurt. Saturday is a 10 miler. Hopefully the weather will clear up by then and I'll run outside. If it doesn't, I'll go the mind numbing treadmill route. I'm not opposed to running in the cold and snow, but I don't want my husband to think I'm any crazier...

8 comments:

sillychick said...

I'm so glad the babies are coming home! Although there is a certain security in having round-the-clock care, there's nothing like having them in the comfort of your home.

Amazing how much the kids do today, isn't it? My son, who is in second grade, is doing multiplication, division and some rudimentary algebra! Crazy!

Have you watched, "Are you smarter than a 5th grader?" Makes you feel incredibly stupid at times.

You gotta go read my post and how I'm jealous of you. Hope it makes you laugh!

11111111 said...

Came here from Alpha Dogma.

I like your words.

I, too, run. I've been out of commission lately, but my return is the same system you have although mine is in kilometres, so it'll be easier for me.

Multi-tasking Mommy said...

I am nervous as all heck for my daughter to go to school...although she is only 2 right now AND I was a Kindergarten teacher before I chose to stay home with her. Not because of the academics, but because of the social side of things, behaviour and ME (how I will deal with the separation)! It's a normal feeling, I believe.

Unknown said...

I bet you will be nervous when #3 goes too. It's only natural, I bet!

Gretchen said...

sillychick- I'm amazed daily at what my first grader is doing. Yes, I've seen the 5th grader show. Very, very funny. Thanks so much for the compliment - I loved the blog post!

denguy - welcome! Love to see new faces! Perhaps I should convert my runs to kilometers... there's an idea!

MTM - after having a 'shadow' for the last three years, I'm going to miss my toddler when she goes off to preschool next year. She'll be fine - I'll be the mess!

Aimee- I bet you're right.

Anonymous said...

I'm going to get this book. We have been reading to our daughter since day 1 and she seems bright, but its hard to judge her against others. She's almost 3 and in preschool, but my nephews who went to daycare only were totally not prepared for kindergarten. I'm always amazed at some of the things they are teaching her at preschool. Did we learn those things? Probably not.

Tree said...

YAY! The babes are going home!!! I am so happy to read that.

You can do it. I wish I was there to run with you on Sat.

Jen said...

Gretchen,

I have a blogspot blog, too, and I can't figure out how to display my PBN button! Do you think you can send me the HTML you cut and pasted for yours? I appreciate it!!

robtmag72@aol.com