Tuesday, October 31, 2006

Orlando, The Long Version, Day One

I'll break this up in installments, to help keep boredom at bay...

Wednesday, I packed the remaining few things. We headed to the airport, got through security, and ate some lunch. Headed to the gate to realize that it was thirty minutes before the flight took off and everyone else was already on the plane.

The kids did great. The were amused by the bathroom. Clearly my kids have no concept of "home field advantage" when it comes to bending one. The nearly pottly-trained two year old did indeed take a huge crap on the plane - in the toilet.

Have you ever tried to help a two year old sit on the toilet, in an airplane, with a little turbulance? I have.

We arrived, picked up our luggage, and the rental car. I take that back - rental minivan. With a DVD player. And automatic sliding doors. The kids wanted to keep it. I said no. Headed to the hotel and got checked in.

Just as we were wondering what to do, Husband's friend called. He was in town as well and had seen on the news that there would be a rocket launch at Cape Canaveral. We picked him up ten minutes later (it was a five minute drive to his hotel) and headed out. Made it with a little time to spare. Found a place to park near the beach and to the sand. It was dark, but I could see the waves roll in. The kids wanted nothing to do with the ocean, but loved the giant sandbox.

This ranks right up there in the top five coolest things I've ever seen. We were far enough back we couldn't hear if there was an audible countdown. The adults talked, planning coulda-woulda-shoulda to bring a cooler and lawn chairs. The kids played in the sand.

All at once you could hear it. A giant roar. I'm not sure if it was my imagination or not, but I swear I felt the earth shake. It was a huge ball of light. Up, up, up, up...

We watched and watched. I kicked myself for leaving the camera in the car. My husband snapped this picture with his phone. I called my dad as we were driving to eat. He was duly impressed. Something he's never done - and that says something.

Afterward, we headed out to Steak n Shake and had dinner. It was 10:30 pm by the time we arrived back at the hotel. Hopped in bed, ready for Thursday's adventure.

No comments: