Friday, August 04, 2006

School Supplies

Thought I'd be smart. Head out early, four weeks before school starts and pick up supplies. Casually meander through the isles, finding exactly what the list suggested.

They actually use that on the list "This a suggested list of supplies."

48 crayons
markers- washable
paint shirt
pointed scissors
sneakers

The list goes on. Arrived at Target with the kids and my mom in tow. First, we have to go to the bakery and get the free cookies. They're pink. The boy will have to deal. This buys at least 15 more minutes of shopping time. Arrive a the school supplies. It's packed. Some kids were more enthustiac about it than others.

My daughter has been asking for the last month when we'll get her supplies. Clearly, she's excited about new supplies.

box of tissues
ruler
dry erase markers
dry eraser
pencils

They're out of glue. Not the biggest issue, just means I'll have to remember it the next time I go. More accurately, I'll remember it the night before school starts and I'll head over to the 24 hr WalMart at midnight for glue.

paper
highlighter - any color
large school bag
pencil case
spiral bound wide rule paper

The cart is getting fuller and fuller, the two little ones are getting meaner and meaner. Grandma takes them off in search of something while my soon to be first grader and I finish the list. Other parents are crossing off lists - for multiple kids. Eeks. Next year I'll be school shopping for two. Eventually three.

2 pads 3x3 sticky notes - oh, post-it's.
Pack of playing cards?

What are they teaching these kids? Pinochle? No, says for "Math Games." Honey, Mommy has an 8 and a 7, do I hit or stay?

Find the playing cards in the games. Pink ones even. Last thing. Except the glue.

In some ways, I can't wait for school to start either. Kids are getting a little bored. School starting means I'll have some quiet time. The Girl will go back to full day (versus going from full day to half day when we moved) and The Boy will be in preschool three afternoons a week. School will put more structure in our day. Gone are the days of going to bed at 10 pm and getting up at 10 am.

We still have four weeks. Four weeks.

1 comment:

Builder Mama said...

Okay, you're freaking me out now. I have trouble getting stuff for PRESCHOOL, never mind regular school. Nothing sends me over the edge quite like realizing at 8 PM that Monkey Man needs "white t-shirt" the following day. ARGH.

I commend you for taking all 3 without your handy dandy vodka - I mean WATER - bottle. Geez.