Tuesday, August 29, 2006

Freezing Tomatoes

By the request of Army Wife, my directions for freezing tomatoes.

Start with ripe tomatoes.
It helps if you have a neighbor with an overflowing garden.
If not, check farmer's markets or other outlets for fresh produce.

Set a pan about half full of water and start it simmering.

Wash tomatoes and fill sink with cold water.
















Blanch tomatoes for 30 - 60 seconds in simmering water.
This will help release the skins.
Take out of hot water and put in cold.
I generally drain them after they've cooled off - it only takes a couple minutes.

Take the skins off - they should slide right off. Take out the stem.















Dice tomatoes and put in freezer bags.
I use the quart bags and put in 4 cups of tomatoes.

Last night, I tried something different as well - I pureed tomatoes in the blender and then put them in bags.















Lay flat to freeze.
I ended up with one bag of diced and 3 1/2 bags of pureed.

That's it. Pretty easy and the only problem may be freezer space...

2 comments:

Rachelle Jones said...

EXCELLENT, and the photos of your assistant cheers...

ok this is much easier than I thought, and I will be doing this...

I have a little man here down the raod with tomatoes coming out his ears. I will gladly pay his $1.00 per pound price for fresh as oppossed to those nasty things I buy in Winter from the store....

I knew I could not can ....just no way...

but this freezng thing...I have plenty of room...

(Is this the same for peaches?)

Gretchen said...

For peaches, check out this website:

http://www.pickyourown.org/peachesfreezing.htm

Have fun!