Monday, January 09, 2006

Scared the shit out of me. Twice.

Ever catch one of those news stories? The one where a child playing was seriously hurt or killed? The kind that makes your blood run cold. The kind that makes you think, "That will never happen to me. I wouldn't let it."

Then it's you. Twice in one day. I'll preface this by saying no one was seriously hurt or killed. My blood still ran cold. Twice.

After school, the kids and I were playing in the basement. Ok, they were playing and I was sitting in the chair 'supervising'. Big girl had a friend over to play. They were taking turns rollerblading and scootering in the basement. Pads and helmets, yes sir. The boy was goofing around, running amok in the basement. He'd run upstairs, then down, then up, then down. Pretty soon, I hear, "Mommy help me." The tone told me he needed help. The difference between "my toy won't work" and "I really need help!" He called again. 'Where are you?" "Right here! Help me!" I ran upstairs. Couldn't find him. Ran to the second story... no where to be found. Back down to the basement. I can hear him again "Mommy help me". Sounded like he was in something. In something. What could he be in in the basement? Looking, and looking. Then it hit me and I opened the door to the spare fridge. He'd shut himself in the fridge and couldn't open the door from the inside. After a stern talking to and some hugs, he was fine and I duct taped the fridge shut. We don't even use it anyway.

Dinner went of without a hitch.

After bath, the kids were playing while I was getting my clothes changed. All of a sudden, I hear a huge BANG! Big Girl comes running in my room while I come running out. I can hear The Baby crying. I look in Big Girl's room and her dresser's standing on it's knobs. Baby had pulled all the drawers open and it had tipped over. A very scared baby was standing next to the dresser. For now, I'm doing close supervision and when Husband gets home on Friday it will be bolted to the wall.

What exactly is the cosmos trying to tell me? I don't think I want to know.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

AACK! I don't think I would be calm yet...

Erika

Anonymous said...

holy crap!