Tuesday, December 20, 2005

Looking for feedback

Wondering if I'm in the 'right'.

Talked to MIL last night and she suggested that we not only celebrate Christmas, but Big Girl's birthday next weekend. With her birthday on New Year's Day, she was worried about the weather. Keep in mind that they have traveled up for the last five years, so this isn't a new concept to celebrate close to, if not on, her birthday.

I hesitantly agreed, as I felt completely put on the spot.

Today I sent her this e-mail:
"Been thinking on the suggestion to have "Big Girl's" birthday Christmas weekend...

Let's wait and see what the weather does the weekend of her birthday. If it is not conducive for travel, we can find another weekend in January to celebrate her birthday. I'm thinking it will be overwhelming for the kids to try and do it all in one weekend.

Blah, blah, blibbity blah..."

I just added the blah's in for effect, but there was more email, none of it important.

Curious if I'm out of line by other's standards, because I don't think I am.

As a point of reference, I have all, and I mean all, the Christmas stuff down and put away before her birthday.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh, that isn't fair AT ALL to big girl to lump her birthday in with Christmas.

BUT it is one less time you have to see MIL if you agree to do it. ;)

Megan

Mrs. Wheezer said...

Gretchen,

My December birthday has been smooshed up with Christmas my whole life, and I think it's great you're trying to keep her birthday and Christmas separate. It's (IMO) an excellent habit to get into. Good luck with your MIL.

-Louisa

Gretchen said...

Megan - Funny, I don't care so much about seeing MIL, I just don't like the idea of it lumped together so young - when she's older, maybe.

Louisa - I have a January birthday, and mine got squished a couple times as well. I just want it to be her birthday, not a combo of two.

Unknown said...

My birthday is in December. You are totally right to try and seperate!

Unknown said...

I totally agree with you. Her birthday is her birthday, not Christmas.

Anonymous said...

Sophie's bday is Jan 5th. I have always made sure all the Christmas decorations are gone for it too. I usually do a family celebration on her actual day but do a celebration with her friends a month later. The best so far was the luau - cranked up the heat and put her in a sundress. It was a blast plus a nice respite from the winter dolldrums.

Anonymous said...

I agree with not wanting to celebrate her birthday over Christmas weekend. I have a friend whose bday is Xmas Eve, and she hated it when the two were celebrated together.

Gretchen said...

Thanks so much. I finally heard back from MIL, but she didn't mention the birthday. Guess I'll have to call her tonight to make sure she doesn't pull a fast one!