Wednesday, October 12, 2005

Facing My Fear

For anyone that knows me - they won't believe this.

People scare me. Especially guys.

I have a hard time looking people in the eye when I talk to them. This is purely my own insecurity. I've gotten really good at bluffing my way through social situations, but in reality I'm so tightly wound it's hard for people to see the real me.

Today I faced one of my fears.

I've been working out at the local YMCA for almost a year. In the last three or four months, I've really picked up the pace. Lifting more weight, running faster and farther, and getting on the elliptical for longer periods of time at a higher resistance. I've been doing the 'machine' weight versus the free weight.

The cardio equipment and the machine weights are easily accessable, and don't really intimidate me. I'm comfortable with it. The free weights are found in a different room. There are a lot of guys in there. There are mirrors in there. And there are two pieces of equipment that I have desperately wanted to use. What kept me out? Fear.

Today I did it. I did what I wanted to do and scurried out. It helps that there were only four guys in the room. I don't even think they noticed I was in there. But I did. As I was leaving, I caught a glimpse of myself in the mirror. I really liked what I saw.

Can't wait for Friday's workout.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You rock G!!!! I bet you looked great in the mirror too. :)