Thursday, September 29, 2005

I should have taken my bike.

Rather than biking, as I thought I would to pick up the boy, I jumped back into my gas-guzzling, hitch bearing beast. Picked up the boy, and decided to get lunch 'out'.

Lunch out with my kids usually involves drive thru. As much as I like eating in McD's and BK and leaving the mess there, I decided to pick up Fazoli's and head home for lunch.

In the drive thru, I was rear-ended. The strange, inadvertent roll forward got my attention, and that of the drive thru staff. After hearing the woman behind me disengage her vehicle from mine, I checked quickly for damage. Nothing apparent, except for the big dent in her license plate. She'd hit the hitch of my gas-guzzling beast.

After crawling back in and getting my food, I pulled ahead and wrote my name and phone number down. In trying to exchange information, she told me that,"I'm fine," and proceeded to drive off. As soon as she was out of earshot, I thought - wait a minute - YOU hit ME! So I wrote her license plate number and vehicle description down.

Once home, I called the local police. The dispatched a unit, and said although I didn't need to fill out an accident report unless the damage was over $1000, they would do one if I so desired.

I desired. It's now public record should I need to contact my insurance.

The kind police officer said he'd call and find out who was driving, given my description. I know it was the 'lady of the house', and given the fact that when you rear end someone it is always your fault, I have a feeling this has happened to her before.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

my goodness. She drove off???!!! Would love to be the fly on the wall when the police contact her to let her know you got her license plate. Priceless!!!