Monday, August 20, 2007

I have a secret...

Lotta was kind enough to bring up on her blog the fact that I'm doing a little running. At the start of 2007, she spearheaded an effort to lose weight and become more comfortable with her body: the MILF movement was born.

My plan was to run - more specifically, run a marathon. Losing weight was just a bonus. I did that, and have signed up for a half marathon and another marathon later this year. Training has resumed, and I couldn't be more pleased.

I discovered something along the way - I'm just fine the way I am. Truth be told, I haven't lost a single pound since the first of the year.

Not one.

But the difference? All the running as created more muscle mass - muscle doesn't weigh more than fat, but it does take up less space - think pound of steak verus pound of marshmallows.

The weather was crappy this weekend - mid 60's and rainy. I pulled out a pair of jeans without looking at the tag. It wasn't until they were on that I realized they were my 'skinny' jeans. And they fit just fine. I was so excited I tried on two other pair of jeans that I'd never been able to zip up before (you know what I'm talking about - the someday-they'll-fit-jeans that I couldn't make myself return) and I could not only zip them up, but wear them in public. There's a difference, you know.

I'm not saying I'm going to quit trying to better myself, I'm just going to stop beating myself up over the number on a scale.

9 comments:

Tree said...

You know, I think the thing about running is it makes you proud of what your body can accomplish without forcing it to conform to some artificial sense of what it should be.

I am proud of you and the leap you have taken this year.

Mitzi Green said...

you suck. i tried on SEVEN pairs of jeans at target yesterday before i said "f this" and bought a skirt instead.

you know i'm ridiculously proud of you.

Tanaya said...

That is awesome!!!

Dan said...

Just popping in to say hi :D Been out of the loops for a while - stupid summer being stupidly busy!

Love the new page design! Good luck with the running!

-Dan

aimee / greeblemonkey said...

That's the way, girl. You rock.

And YEAH! The new design *IS* awesome. ;)

Builder Mama said...

Yup, I know what you mean. Like if I look at my weight on the BMI, it says that I'm overweight and almost borderline obese...you've seen me, and you know that's not true.

The numbers are crap, it's so much better just to look at how you feel, how your body looks, how the clothes fit, etc.

Way to go! And love the new design, too....

Lotta said...

That is a great secret. I think the Future MILF movement needs to expand it's definition. Cause there are more ways to feel MILFY then losing weight. Proud of you!

TxGambit said...

Whoohooo. That's awesome! You rock.

my minivan is faster than yours said...

I JUST started a running plan TODAY so thanks for the timely post. As long as those skinny jeans fit, ain't nothin' else matta!